OpenOffice.org has a powerful system for numbering pages. It uses a feature called fields to manage page numbers. Now you might be thinking of how to add page numbering in OpenOffice? Here are some useful tips for you.
How to add page numbering in OpenOffice?
To insert a page number field, position the cursor where you want to insert the number and choose Insert > Fields > Page Number. The page number appears with a gray background.
- Go to Insert - Footer and then choose the page style you want to add to the footer.
- Move the cursor to the footer and then select Insert - Field - Other.
- When in Fields dialog box, go to the Document tab.
- Choose "Page" in the Type list and click "Next".
- Under Format list, choose the numbering style.
- Press the Insert button to insert the field with the page number.
- Right-align the header to make the page number appear on the top-right.
- Take your cursor to the header.
- Click the Align Right icon (or right-click in the header and then go to Alignment > Right).
- Insert the word page so the header reads page 1, page 2, and so on.
- Insert the document title like, for example: your title as left aligned, and page x with right aligned, where x is the value of the Page Number field.
- OOo also has a Page Count field (Insert > Fields > Page Count). With this, you could, for example, have a header that reads page 1 of 15.
How to include the total number of pages?
- Insert a header or footer, as required.
- Place the cursor in the header or footer, where you want the page number to appear, and choose Insert > Fields > Page Number.
- Type the word page and a space; then insert the page number as above.
- Press the spacebar once, type the word of and add a space; then choose Insert > Fields > Page Count.
How to change the format of page numbers?
There may be chances when you need to have some another format of page numbering. So, for instance, if you want to set the page number to display in Roman numerals, you need to specify the format of numbers in the page style.
Go to the Page page of the Page Style dialog box, and in the Layout settings section select "i, ii, iii,..." under the Format drop-down list.