Thread: AppData folder redirection and outlook profile settings

AppData folder redirection and outlook profile settings

Hello,

I wold like to ask You for help!
    In my evironmen (Server 2008 R2, Windows XP SP3, Outlook 2003) i implemented folder redirection. I don't want to use Romaning profiles. Users AppData is redirected to server via group policy.

If a user logs on a client "clientA" computer, he set up an Outlook profile (creates exchange account, signature, atc.). Then he logs off.

"\\server\share\username\application data\Microsoft\Outlook" is created with Outlook.xml inside

Then the user logs on another computer "clientB", start outlook and setup wizard appears instead of configured profile.

Any help appreciated!

Igor Glenda

Re: AppData folder redirection and outlook profile settings

Indeed roaming profiles will let you keep the environment of your users and store it on a server. Redirects File records will affect the larger Profile and allow faster loading profile through the principle of offline files, meaning that only changes to a file are transferred. The GPO could be very useful for roaming profiles, and more specifically in the management thereof. With tool GPMC you'll have access to three parameters available to the User and relating to profiles.

If a folder redirection is properly working then when a user has logged on to computer A and then goes to log onto computer B, then computer B could act as if the user has already logged on since it will be using the profile information on the server which was already set up when the user logged on the first time. So if a user sets up Outlook on a computer then logs on another computer the Outlook settings are taken from the users redirected appdata folder on the server.

You can try to create a roaming user profile by opening the Active Directory Users and Computers and then clicking on the domain and the OU where the user account resides. After that right click on the user account for which to set a roaming profile and then go to Properties. Now click on Profile tab and then type the profile path information in the Profile path like for example type \\Server\ShareName\UserName.