Thread: WHS - Recovery of a Netbook from USB boot

WHS - Recovery of a Netbook from USB boot

What the problem :
    The backups of the clients running on the WHS is automatic. In between, we can save you time manually, no problem is, fast and elegant. Now I was curious, just as in the case of the case the data recovery looks like. How can I make my clients again? The recovery operation is using a "Windows Home Server Home Computer Restore CD", which on the WHS in the \ Software \ Home PC Restore CD \ is either at Microsoft or on this link to download is. I had the .Msi download file, because the list of the Acer easy store 340 just a text file with the link was. The .msi file does nothing more than an ISO image to create with the name "RestoreCD_dual.iso. This image can now be burned with the normal burning programs on CD. The CD should then be bootable. When booting with the CD to initialize a surface over which we can begin the recovery process, i.e, computer image, select partitions, etc. and will require a course of WHS to be accessible.

Re: WHS - Recovery of a Netbook from USB boot

The solution :
    My problem is that the netbook has no drive, of course, in this case, the problem is to place that image on a USB stick in a way that can be booted from the stick. The whole is done in two steps:

Step 1 - Preparing the USB flash drive / make Bootable
    There are various tools on the web, I'm short on the command line with the tool "diskpart" made (requires admin rights!). If you use the same command diskpart calls himself an extra shell opens to the tool, which is now controlled by commands and can use. Here is how to make the USB stick bootable:

- LIST DISK (displays all existing partitions)
    - SELECT DISK (the number of USB flash drive partition specify)
    - DETAIL DISK shows to check again on the partition data
    - CLEAN erases all data on the stick
    - CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY creates a new primary partition
    - the one with ACTIVE make bootable (active)
    - Format, ie, installation of the file system is done with
    Code:
    FORMAT FS = FAT32 QUICK
    - To check if everything goes well, more time
    - DETAIL DISK enter and see if an asterisk appears next to the partition record, which indicates that this is bootable
    - EXIT to exit the tool, because we are first finished

Step 2 - Copy the files from the ISO
    Now that the stick is bootable, the data of the ISO images up. Anyway I have always DaemonTools installed, which one drive (embed mount) as may ISOs. Once the drive appears as an ISO, with the Windows Explorer all the files on the USB stick into the root directory copy it, done. For me it's how it works right away, you have to adjust course, the USB boot via the BIOS! Thus, for thus also produce a netbook with no problems with the WHS again.

Here is another link that will help you
    How to recover WHS?