Thread: SetUp Windows Live Sync as a service

SetUp Windows Live Sync as a service

Introduction :
    Windows Live Sync offers the possibility of files among multiple Windows systems synchronize automatically. It does not matter whether the computers are in the same network or not. Only an Internet connection is required.

In most cases they are working on a desktop client such as Windows XP or Windows Vista, and less on a server desktop, making it difficult to use Live Sync on a remote server because it is "only" one application and no service. This would mean, first by a Remote Desktop to Connect to the live sync client to start. Therefore, I have tried with little effort from the application of a service for my Windows Home Server build. And lo and behold, Windows Live Sync works even without a user logged on as a service.

Re: SetUp Windows Live Sync as a service

With the free Windows Server Resource Kit can LiveSync client as a Windows service to set up the synchronization to use without registration. In addition to the resource kit is required to Any Service Installer - this tool allows via a graphical user interface (GUI) to create a service.

Alternatively, you can create the service from the command line without GUI:
    First copy from the Resource Kit folder, the files instsrv.exe and srvany.exe in the directory C: \ Program Files \ Windows Live \ Sync
    Second switch on the command line in the Live Sync directory and run the following command:
    Code:
    instsrv.exe LiveSync "C: \ Program Files \ Windows Live \ Sync \ srvany.exe
    The message of the service LiveSync was set up successfully. The next steps need to both versions (GUI or command line) to run:
    Open the Registry Editor - Start -> Run -> regedit

Locate the following key:
    Code:
    HKLM \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ LiveSync
    Create a new subkey with the name
    Code:
    Parameters
    New String (REG_SZ) establish with the name
    Code:
    Application
    Value of the string set
    Code:
    C: \ Program Files \ Windows Live \ Sync \ WindowsLiveSync.exe
    New String (REG_SZ) establish with the name
    Code:
    AppDirectory
    Value of the string set
    Code:
    C: \ Program Files \ Windows Live \ Sync \
    Close registry edit

Important Note:
    he service must no matter whether by creation or by command line via the service manager to log on with an administrator account can be configured with GUI - Account must have a profile on the system and the LiveSync of service with this profile has been started once before installation be. When registering for both have Live Sync. Net account and password are stored permanently. If the Live Sync Client can be started on the server, must be completed before the start of the service created LiveSync.