Thread: How to use Microsoft Live Mesh

How to use Microsoft Live Mesh

Introduction :
    I was told that this is an online-offline service for synchronizing files and folders, especially under Windows is to follow, Mac. On the whole mesh is live with Syncplicity and Dropbox compare. As previously mentioned services, so Live Mesh is free and still a beta version (something to 0.9xxx; Stand 12/08). Compared to the two services, however, offers Live Mesh Free 5GB sizable (2GB dropbox). The beauty (you can not help but say it) is the integration of Live Mesh in the Windows Vista desktop (it will of course also supports Windows XP). This only works perfectly if Silverlight, the Flash-alternative from Microsoft is installed. The goal of Live Mesh clear is the networking of PC / Mac, and mobile multimedia devices. It will be better integrated in the future probably in the Live services and Windows Live by Microsoft.

Small digression :
    MS I am the opposite of usual. Functions without end, which is not a man or get used to the slow path. My favorite example is for Windows Vista. In my eyes since Service Pack 1 operating system very usable, but instead, such as Mac OS X or KDE on Linux, making the panel more compact, the Control Panel of Windows Vista will end in a "Iconchaos" that not even all the possibilities of Windows XP offers, but less. Who thought that? A graphic artist who wanted to accommodate all of its icons. Back to the topic of Live Mesh. Live Mesh does not seem to come from Redmond, because it looks very tidy, is clearly designed and well thought out in terms of features is. Both the online administration and the desktop client are well done.

Re: How to use Microsoft Live Mesh

A few impressions of Live Mesh :

Service recommended Limitations :
    - Allocation of the folder
    View Live Mesh has the drop box to the nose in front, because you can not select only one folder for synchronization, but any number.
    Selection via context menu -> Well done and assigning name

Icon will change to Live Icon

Change the context menu and Calling the folder with additional options that will be glued to the left outside edge.

Only the advanced option of the Live Mesh folder:

Links: History Log | Center: Access permissions | Right: online from computers :

Unfortunately, this is still not perfect. Why?
    I have two Live accounts. After that, I for one live account had entered a folder, it was another account to see when. After I deleted it, although I could add new folders, but these were not synchronized. A restart did not help. I could add more folders, but not synchronize. Later Live Mesh said to me repeatedly that I should not insert this folder, and then he was there ... The result: Chaos in Live Mesh

Re: How to use Microsoft Live Mesh

The following is important to understand: The Live Mesh folders from other computers to the desktop of your computer display on. You can move them, so that one has a real sync, ie you decide on the desktop of another computer if a folder is synchronized, and then shifts it to the place of the system where you want it. Importantly, this must be on "browse" make. Drag and drop is about it, but after a short time you can see the folder back to the desktop. In addition, you can not create another folder in Live Live folder, subfolders, but you can assign other commands regarding synchronization.

- Sharing Folders
    What is done at drop box with a click on the Live Mesh seems to be running the gauntlet. I will not hesitate to share only my buddy a few files. How does it work? If you do then you will find the option in the live view in the sidebar under Members who invite you may or may invite.

- PC remote support via Live Mesh Remote Desktop
    A great additional feature is the Live Desktop using Windows client and Internet Explorer, but not yet available. In three experiments, three times the desktop distorted or not displayed at all. If this feature really flesh out and paste files and you can also move by copy, then Live Mesh is really interesting. I still want a VPN connection. Currently. After a reboot of the remote computer everything went. Impressive!

- Live Desktop Live Mesh and deleted files and folders
    Important is this to understand: If you a remote computer to a folder deletes, then keep all the files online at the Live Desktop enables you to write exactly connects the way, as with a computer and just as it works (great idea though it is madness).

Conclusion :
    I'll keep an eye on Live Mesh and you up to date, but stay for the time being with my beloved drop box! If the free memory drop box makers and increase it further as reliable works, then it is difficult in my eyes Mesh Dropbox users to get live for. What else makes a difference to the drop box is the speed of synchronization. In particular, the synchronization of Live Mesh Buddies / Members is ultra slow. No comparison to the drop box! The fact that you must use Hotmail to invite annoying.