Thread: How to move / change the location of "My Documents" in Windows

How to move / change the location of "My Documents" in Windows

Move or change the location of My Documents

Quick View :
    The default My Documents folder is located in Windows XP and Windows Vista is located on the same disk or partition as the operating system. This is fine for anyone who has only one disk or a single partition on their computers, such as the C drive, but if you have more than one physical or logical drive on your computer, it is better to move your My Documents folder off the system drive. So you may be wondering why I would recommend this? Here are some reasons that I moved my file.

1. Free precious hard disk space on system partition -
    With all the monthly updates for Office and Windows, my C drive became close to its full! Also, other system files like the paging file, System Restore files, hibernation files are all stored on the system partition. Once I moved the data off, I gave the space arc Windows more space to live and breathe.

2. Easy backup and data recovery after a crash of Windows -
    The best reason to move the My Documents folder is better help protect your data. For example, if your Windows crashes on one day and you must perform a recovery, then all your data will be lost. However, if your data is on D, say, craps and your Windows, you can reinstall a fresh copy of Windows on drive C and the rest of your data remains intact! Of course, it will not save your data if the entire hard drive is physically failing and your My Documents folder is on the same drive in another partition. But there were many occasions in my time when Windows has become unusable due to a virus, spyware or other kinds of calamities.

Re: How to move / change the location of "My Documents" in Windows

How to move My Documents folder to a new location :
    Okay, now for most of this post. Moving your My Documents folder is a rather simple process and can be done by anyone. Here's how:

1. Right-click on the My Documents folder and choose Properties

2. Click Move and select the location of your My Documents folder. Remember, the best would be to move it to another drive PHYSICAL if possible. Otherwise, move it to another partition at least.

3. Click on OK, then click Apply. You will be asked if you want to move all the existing documents to the new location or not. Choose Yes.

And that's it. Your documents will be moved to the new location and when you click on the My Documents icon on your desktop, but it will open as before.

If you want to change the location of "My Pictures" here it is
    How to change 'My Pictures' folder path

Re: How to move / change the location of "My Documents" in Windows

WatchDirectory automatically starts tasks when the directory contents that this program is monitoring changes (a file or directory is added, deleted or changed). You can choose from the following predefined tasks: automatically copy files; automatically sort files based on rules; automatically email when files are created/deleted; automatically delete files; automatically upload (FTP) files (supports proxies, passive mode and secure FTP); automatically create thumbnails for your pictures; automatically generate HTML; automatically generate auditing reports for changed/deleted files (who did it?); automatically compress (ZIP) files; automatically uncompress (unZIP) files; automatically start BAT files (several sample BAT files are included).