You plug as usual your external hard drive to your computer to retrieve its contents or to add files when Windows offers to format it. Your hard drive has serious problems you'll have to try to solve in order to, most importantly, recover your files, and repair your hard drive to it again as usual.
- Immediately click the Cancel button.
- Right-click the Computer icon on the Start menu or desktop and click Manage.
- In the window of Computer Management, scroll down to Storage and click Disk Management.
- The list of drives connected to your computer appears. Among them, your hard disk is now reluctant. This means that it works and is recognized by the system.
- However, its file system is shown as RAW, is to say raw data unreadable by Windows.
Download and run TestDisk:
TestDisk is a free software that will allow you to help recover lost partitions and repair the partition table corrupt your hard drive. You can download TestDisk from here.
- Once the download is complete, click the Open button.
- Click Extract all files.
- In the wizard that opens, click the Extract button.
- Open the folder testdisk-****.
- Then open the folder win.
- Double click on the file so testdisk_win.exe.