Thread: How to Optimize Ubuntu 10.4 ( Lucid Lynx ) for Dell Mini 9 with SSD

How to Optimize Ubuntu 10.4 ( Lucid Lynx ) for Dell Mini 9 with SSD

After Ubuntu 9.10 , Ubuntu here 10.4 ( Lucid Lynx) - Optimized for Acer Aspire One A110 with SSD and Dell Mini9 with SSD.
    These are my optimizations that I keep in mind on this blog and I do enjoy that but I will not accept any responsibility for possible consequences on your system. An Aspire One must have 1GB of RAM ( 1.5GB max) and if it is Dell then 1GB Mini9 enough ( 2GB max ).

Installation :

I choose the manual installation - auto-start, thus avoiding typing a user password. It must still choose the administrator password.
    Default Format for ext4 / DSS for all known except 70 MB for the swap (only for the health conscious or 0 if you want)

Changes in grub

In a console : sudo gedit / etc / default / grub - set GRUB_TIMEOUT = " 0 "to start without waiting for the choice of OS or kernel.

Aspire One : Replace the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = " quiet splash "by GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = " quiet splash elevator = 1 pciehp.pciehp_force = noop " This will accelerate the operation of the DSS and automate the insertion of an SD card in drive right . (Elevator = noop does that SSD)

Dell Mini9 : GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash elevator = noop "

To keep these settings in the kernel updates : Open a console and then type sudo update- grub and root password .

re: How to Optimize Ubuntu 10.4 ( Lucid Lynx ) for Dell Mini 9 with SSD

Optimise Firefox:

To Avoid unwanted blockages while using Firefox when SSD :

1. Launch Firefox and type about : config in place of the URL
    2. Assign the value 0 to browser.cache.disk.capacity
    3. Assign to browser.cache.disk.enable False
    4. Assign the value 0 to browser.cache.offline.capacity
    5. Assign to browser.cache.offline.enable False

Put temporary files in RAM to minimize writes to the SSD :

1. sudo gedit / etc / fstab
    2. Add to end of file :
    3. tmpfs / tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    4. tmpfs / var / tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    5. tmpfs / var / log tmpfs defaults 0 0
    6. tmpfs / var / log / apt tmpfs defaults 0 0
    7. register.

In the address bar of Firefox , type about: config then press " Enter. Then find the following values using the Filter bar , and change by double clicking it.

1. network.dns.disableIPv6 = > true
    2. network.http.pipelining = > true
    3. network.http.pipelining.maxrequests => 8
    4. network.http.proxy.pipelining => true

Then , create a new digital value by right clicking and choosing successively " New " then " Numeric Value ".

In the field that appears, enter " nglayout.initialpaint.delay . Click OK , then enter 0 and click OK . These enhancements enable faster loading of web pages in Firefox about 25%.
    Then , create a boolean with the name " config.trim_on_minimize " and assign the value " true ". This optimization is used to optimize the management of RAM Firefox.
    Restart Firefox

Add extensions: Adblock for Firefox - Firefox Extension No Script

Now Restart Firefox

Retractable panels - adjustable speed

The top and bottom panels can be made retractable with : right click in the panel / properties / driver auto-hide . I chose a width of 30 pixels.

However the speed of appearance / disappearance is not optimal and it is quickly annoying .
    To change this speed: Applications / System Tools / Editor configurations/apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen0/hide_delay
    and : / apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen0/unhide_delay

replace the values of timers for those chosen after test:
    I chose 500 ms to 300 ms and kept unhide_delay for hyde_delay

Even settings for top_panel .

Touchpad Settings.

System / Administration / Synaptic Package Manager check gsynaptics - apply .

Setting TouchPad : System / Preferences / Touchpad / Scroll adjust the vertical scroll halfway or according to your taste.
    Check that horizontal scrolling is checked.

System / Preferences / Mouse / Touchpad : check " Enable scrolling "

Install the software:

- Applications / Ubuntu repositories or via System / Administration / Synaptics Package Manager

VLC - Cheese - Gparted - Gimp - Scite - Bluefish - Filezilla - Wine - Google Earth - DVD Rip

I chose to uninstall Empathy which does not suit me ( uninstalling empathy and empathy - common)
    Instead : Install Pidgin
    Last edited by Armando-H; 30-06-2010 at 12:04 AM.

Read protected formats (DVD)

System / Administration / Synaptics Package Manager :

Install the packages ubuntu -restricted -extras , adding the packages to read and decode mp3 media for various formats ( gstreamer plugins) , Microsoft fonts , Java runtime environment , Flash plugin , LAME (the creation of compressed audio files ) , and DVD playback.

To play protected DVDs , you must add " libdvdcss2 "for this, you must install the Medibuntu repository.

In Synaptics : System / Deposits / Other software / Add / Line type APT : deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid free non – free

Then add the key for authentication , launch a terminal and type : wget - q - O http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg - | sudo apt -key add -

In Synaptics, click on " Reload "
    Restart
    System / Administration / Synaptics Package Manager : Install libdvdcss2
    This can also play DVDs from an external DVD drive.

Remove the password when exiting from sleep / hibernation

Applications / System Tools / Configuration Editor / apps / gnome - power- manager / lock

Uncheck All

Shares - aim to avoid the standby and hibernation useless or dangerous

Applications / System Tools / Configuration Editor / apps / gnome -power - manager / actions
    select for :

• critical battery : shutdown
    • Critical ups shutdown
    • Event When closed battery: checked
    • lox_ups : shutdown
    • sleep_type_ac : nothing
    • sleep type battery nothing

Applications / System Tools / Configuration Editor / apps / gnome- power-manager / buttons

• Hibernate : nothing
    • lid_ac : shutdown
    • lid_battery : shutdown
    • Power: shutdown
    • suspend : suspend ( if we do nothing whichdoes watch at all)

Remove applications at startup

System / Preferences / Applications startup - delete: Visual Aid - Applet Print Queue - Remote Desktop - Bluetooth Manager - Updated user folders - Alarm notification Evolution - Storage Secret Sevice - Storage of certificates and keys - Check for new drivers .

Customize Office

To install the icons on the desktop - Computer - Home Users - Network Servers - Trash - Volumes visible

Applications / System Tools / Configuration Editor / apps / nautilus / desktop icons check all visible

Therefore , I delete the trash in the bottom toolbar ( right click to remove the dashboard ) and multiple offices .

I install the application icons in the toolbar at the top : VLC - Cheese - Gimp - Scanner
    In the bottom bar : Calculator - Find files - Set Terminal Applications / Topic / right click on software / add this launcher to the dashboard, and then move up or down, lock .

To add functionality to dashboards : right click in the toolbar , add dash / choose

Configure power management :

System / Preferences / Power Manager

Enter the settings on AC and battery Choose the icon display permanent.
    Hibernation ( suspend to disk) can not operate with a low swap , just the day before being delicate at least if the Aspire one is an SD card reader in the left, I chose to extinguish the pc when the battery is critical or the display closed . It is much more efficient . The down time is 9 s and the starting time of 32 s including wifi so it is not at all annoying and it saves the battery.

- AC : put the computer to sleep - never
    Display Closed - off
    Screen Saver - 10 minutes
    - On battery: standby computer - never
    Display Closed - off
    standard battery - extinguish
    Screen Saver - 10 minutes
    reduce backlight brightness - check
    minimize the screen during inactivity ( Mini9 ) - uncheck
    - General : button switched - off
    Standby button - pause
    notification area - always show icon - check