Thread: Cheap and Effective sound dampening technique

Cheap and Effective sound dampening technique

I would like to share a cheap and effective sound dampening technique for your case.

I will begin with a brief bit overview of sound dampening and deadening basics that I picked up my experience in my home recording studio and my car audio projects.

According to me density is equal to quite.

You often see the recording studios that have been acoustically tuned to audio using 5 or 8 inch thick sheet rock FIREWALL grade. And although they love their equipment, they are not doing this because they are afraid of catching fire.
    You can also find thick blankets and carpets hung on the walls and ceilings and hardwood floors in the recording room for the following reasons
    1. They are thick and number
    2. They reduce sound reflections from amplifying and increasing echo or noise, etc.

At the end of car audio you often hear about people normally use Dynamat expensive, they leverage open their doors and trunks and all the entrails with the stuff online and in the end it works but it also works on your wallet and that is not good.
    So, in my years of experience with audio recording and car audio I came to appreciate the silence and sound. Even if I respect the product Dynamat is just too expensive for me, and price and performance is not there.

Along the way I learned a bit special product you can find at local hardware stores that can help you in your quest for a cheap and effective damping or dampening.

Re: Cheap and Effective sound dampening technique

The product is called Flashing Tape

Flashing Tape is made of butyl rubber and is mainly used for insulating windows. However, there are various forms of " butyl rubber tape" which are used for things like sealing the leaks in boats and cars.

Again you can find in most hardware stores decent size and I want to use the mark in Nashua, you can see, because it has a tuft of bright green and white on the outer packaging.

You can find a roll of 6 "x 75 ', or the approximate amount of $20.
    It will last you years and serve many purposes. At this point, I am pretty sure some of you can see where I am going with this business butyl flashing tape
    I decided to empty my el cheapo HP case of a noisy fan on my P4 OEM COOLERMASTER 478. At the time I was not really thinking about any replacement fan because I had the tape lying around and thought it would work well - and did!
    This band is not very thick, perhaps only a cm or less but it is rubber, it is sticky and can be stacked for maximum effect on the walls and ceiling of your case. In addition to filling cracks and insulate the cages and act as an agent for reducing vibrations, too, according to this stuff is great!

Just keep in mind that it will also serve to isolate the heat so make sure you have very good airflow in your case - if it is supported, you will find a highly significant difference in the level sound for a couple of dollars less than an hour of time invested.

Re: Cheap and Effective sound dampening technique

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Check the space between your motherboard and its wall, in my opinion, some air flow is better than nothing for cooling. After that I again cool it using air.

2. Wipe the dust or grease, etc if it is present there on the surface that you are going to tape. Next get a small piece and do a test bonding adhesive quickly to ensure that the tape and the surface is going to work together. Sometimes, changes in both can lead to not so good result. Although not very common in my experience