Thread: Add a Delete Button to the Windows 7 Explorer Toolbar

Add a Delete Button to the Windows 7 Explorer Toolbar

We will use Regedit.exe to change permissions for registry keys. There is how to do it via the command line with a script, but to do so, we will respect steps manually.

Note: There are some dangers in the use Regedit.exe to edit the registry system. Be very careful. I recommend making a backup of your registry before you try this.

1. Start Regedit

• Use Start / Run (or go to a command prompt) and type regedit.

2. Get the registry key

• Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:
      • HKLM \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FolderType
      • Open this branch to see all the trees. On my computer, they are in order
      • alphabetically. Scroll down and click:
      • (F869-4e84-5c4f28b5-8e60-f11db97c5cc7)
      • Make sure you have the key to right: The value of CannonicalName a "generic".

3. Set permissions (5c4f28b5-f869-4e84-8e60-f11db97c5cc7)

• Right-click on this key and choose Permissions ...
      • Click on the Advanced button.
      • Click the Owner tab.
      • Under Change owner to: select Administrators.
      • Click Apply and verify that "Current Owner" is set to Administrators.
      • Click OK to save the change.
      • Back in the Permissions dialog, click Administrators, then click Full Control.
      • Click OK to save the settings and close the dialog box.
    Last edited by Head-Hunter; 09-05-2010 at 05:32 AM.

Re: Add a Delete Button to the Windows 7 Explorer Toolbar

After setting the permissions to allow us (administrators) to make changes we can make the following steps which effectively add to the command bar tools.

4. Add a new key, TasksItemsSelected
    • Right click on the key (5c4f28b5-f869-4e84-8e60-f11db97c5cc7) and select New and Key.
    • Change the text "New Key # 1" to become TasksItemsSelected
    • Press Enter or click outside the name of the key to register the change.

5. Add a new key, 0
    • Right-click the new key and choose New TasksItemsSelected added ... and Key
    • Change the text "New Key # 1" 0 (number zero).

6. Add a new key, Delete
    • Right-click the new key 0 and key, and select New.
    • Edit text, "New key # 1 to become Delete.
    Last edited by Head-Hunter; 09-05-2010 at 05:33 AM.

That's all there is to it: Everything we do is add the key ... \ TasksItemsSelected \ 0 \ Delete the key you want - no data value is required. The existence of the key toggles the switch. The effect of the change is (almost) immediately.

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to a disk's directory, eg C: \ temp, and when you click an item in the panel file on the right, the toolbar at the top will change to include the Delete button. It features the correct tooltip works exactly like other work of striking commands, you can use the Undelete if you delete
    accidentally something important.

This amendment defines the Delete button to appear only on "generic" records. If you navigate to the folders that are designated for "documents" or "Photos" button Delete is not indicated. To do this, you need to repeat steps 2-6 for two other key registry.

For "reintegration" of the familiar Delete button on the toolbar Win7 Explorer, we used RegEdit Add to Registry key FolderType several keys.

To do this,

we need first to define the permissions so that left us RegEdit.
    To set permissions, we put the owner of the key "Administrators" and then we have provided "Full Access" to the owner. The affected part of the register is still largely protected - only member of the Administrators group can change. As such, users restricted rights (and the malware they run so often) can not touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Head-Hunter View Post
    Open Windows Explorer, navigate to a disk's directory, eg C: \ temp, and when you click an item in the panel file on the right, the toolbar at the top will change to include the Delete button.
    Is this the same type of action in Vista in C:\User\Contacts. It is the only window within Vista that I can find where the explorer bar does not contain the Delete button until you click on an item in the right-hand pane. If so, should your tutorial work in Vista?

Thanks.

Yes, I think it will be the same option if you want to add a delete button to the Windows Vista Explorer Toolbar as suggested by Head-Hunter. In case if it is not working then you can download QTTabBar that can do the same job for you and also it gives me many more options within Explorer, integrates fully, so download it via searching on google.

Thanks Expertz. I'm going to give it a try.

I tried the QTTBar, but I had to download a separate plugin for the Delete button and I decided no to pursue it.

I tried the above with no success. Everything in the registry is the same with the exception of the Get the registry key portion: the tutorial states to click on the registry key (F869-4e84-5c4f28b5-8e60-f11db97c5cc7). Is that an accurate key? I noticed that it is part of the key (5c4f28b5-f869-4e84-8e60-f11db97c5cc7). Second, the CanonicalName value in my registry is "Not Specified". Does this have to be changed? And what is meant by a "generic"? Thanks in advance.

Till I know the toolbar in Explorer is not longer configurable in Windows 7. For that you will need to find out some third party application. There are some tool for which hack Windows registry and provide the option. But I am not sure about such software. I don't think that exist. The registry hack but worked for me. I think your are not following the exact process.

Thanks for the reply Itronix.
    I don't completely understand what you're saying. I'm attempting this registry change on a Vista operating system and I assure you I'm following the tutorial exactly. All I want to know is if somebody know if No. 2 in the tutorial is accurate and what "generic" means. Do I use the word "generic" or leave it Not Specified or some other word.

Nevermind. There appears to be a transcription error

How to Add a Delete button to Windows Vista

I think there is a trick that you can do to add any custom button to Vista Explorer Command Bar or Toolbar, including the delete button or delete icon. However, if you are interested in only adding the Delete Button then download the following zips and extract the 2 files to desktop making sure that the 2 files stay close. Afterwards run as a admin an just follow the instructions shown. When it is completed then save the zip file and delete the 2 files. Thats it you are done now, download the zip files from below attachments. All credits goes to Disk4mat.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks, Expertz (and Disk4Mat). That's what I wanted. I'd love to know the registry entries because I read that is was IMPOSSIBLE to add anything to the Operations toolbar. So if you know the reg tweaks, pls post.
    Thanks again!!

You are Welcome.
    Well, I also havent heard about any registry entries to add delete button on Windows Vista, the Standard Buttoms customization toolbar option is missing and cannot add functions to the Windows EXPLORER like, back, copy, cut, delete, etc. However, there are still some addons that you can use which was suggested earlier.