Many free software you can view your photos, index, classify and to apply simple edits. For example, there Picasa , Google's software, XnView , or the Windows Live Photo Gallery. If you use Windows XP, you can install the free gallery. It is in fact part of the overall free Windows Live, which includes, among other Windows Live Messenger (you do not need to install). The gallery is included by default in Windows Vista but you can reinstall from the Windows Live package to provide new tools for online publishing.
The gallery is very simple to use and provides, in addition to traditional tools of retouching and organizing several unique features: presentation images in several ways (by date, folder or keywords), creation of panoramic pictures, simplified printing, sharing by email ...
Here's how well you use it to manage and organize all your photos.
If you have Windows XP, the gallery is absent. It is part of Windows Live package that you can download for free. Note that you do not have to install other software package (which also includes Windows Live Messenger): you can only install the Photo Gallery.
If you use Windows Vista Photo Gallery is present. However, you can reinstall the package with Windows Live. New options for publishing online (to Windows Live Space for example) will be available.
First steps with the Photo Gallery:
Once gallery is installed, you can use it to manage your photos. Here is how to do so :
- To launch the gallery, click the Start button, click All Programs, then click Windows Photo Gallery Live.
- At first launch, the software prompts you to associate with the file formats JPG, TIF, WDP, BMP and ICO. Click the Yes button to open them with the gallery after a double click on the images in these formats.
- To the left of the interface is the list of filters in the gallery. You can choose to display your images on the record where they are on your hard drive, according to their shooting dates or following keywords attributed to them.
- So click on the filter of your choice to apply to the images displayed. Feel free to refine the settings. For the date of shooting, for example, you can select year, month and even the day!
- At any time, you can change the size of thumbnails. Just click on the Zoom button at the bottom of the window.
- Drag the slider until the desired size.
- Use the mouse wheel
- If you have a wheel mouse, press Ctrl and while holding it down, please turn the dial. Depending on the direction, the stamps will be enlarged or reduced.
- To view details on your photos: weight, dimensions, date of the shooting, click the Show Details button.
- Click on this button again to restore the previous display.