Thread: How to copy a directory or folder

How to copy a directory or folder

Hello friends, i know that many people still have some confusion about how to copy a directory or folder in various ways if the user is in Windows XP, Vista mode, MS- DOS mode or if he is in Linux or UNIX over here i will provide your steps for how to copy a directory or folder In Windows XP or Vista, if anyone know about Linux and MS - Dos then please reply to this thread.

For copying a folder or a directory In Windows you need to first locate and highlight the folder you want to copy, then right click on that folder and select copy option, then move to the location or the folder where you want to copy the folder for that you need to once again right click and select paste option and here you done with it.

Vopy a directory or folder In MS-DOS

I know the procedure to copy a directory in MS- DOS for that you need to use command name as xcopy. If you want to move to a any directory or sub directories for example we will be moving the folder named as Folder1 for that you need to first use cd command

Code:
    cd\Folder1
    By using this command you will be inside the Folder1 directory, now if you want to copy contains of Folder1 Directory to another folder name as Demo1, then following is the command for the same

Code:
    xcopy c:\Demo1 /e

Creating a Batch File to copy a directory

I am having a folder in my D: Drive and in which there are various directory which i am using it for whole day at the end of the day i copy all those files and folder to my pen drive, after doing this i can leave my office, when i told my friend about it he told me why don't i create a batch which will copy all the files and folder to my drive whenever i run that batch file. Can anyone help me out with the same.

In that case i would suggest you to use xcopy sourcepath destination path /D:m-d-y where /D:m-d-y will copy all the files changed after the specified date. If you had not provided any date then it will copy only those file whose source time is newer than the destination time. In this way it will save your everyday.

If you want to copy any Folder or directory in LUNIX or UNIX then you have to use cp command, don't worry i will also provide you an example for the same where all the files will be copied in /home/files directory to the /home/backup directory and here is teh code for the same
    Code:
    cp -r /home/hope/files/* /home/hope/backup