Thread: SP3 Address Bar

SP3 Address Bar

As you all know or don't know Microsoft has removed the address bar from the add tool bar option with SP3. If any of you Googled this then you mainly come up with 1 or 2 options to choose from. The first one being
    * Reboot the computer
    * Press F8 during boot process to load the advanced boot menu
    * Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    * type xcopy C:\browseui.dll C:\Windows\System32\ with c:\browseui.dll being the location of the SP2 version of browseui.dll this option I found to be no good and none useful. I even tried a straight copy from 1 computer running SP2 with USB stick and that didn't work.
    The second option is to download MuvEnum tool bar which there is no way in Hades that I would download a 3rd party application to go directly on my computer or desktop.Oh there is a third option which I didn't bother to mention as it's only a temp measure but here you go.
    Right-click that bar and select Toolbars > Address which should add the entry Address at the right side of the bar. You can now access the address functionality there permanently or move the Address Bar back to the Windows Taskbar.

The problem here is that a reboot or log off will remove the address bar again. The advantage of this method is that it does not require the manipulation of system files.

Now these options are being repeated over the net on other Tech-Help sites and so forth.

So my solution is simple and effective with 8 restarts/reboots to test and see if it was a temp or permanent measure
    *copy the browseui.dll in the windows\system32 folder from any XP-SP2 computer onto a USB flash drive
    * On the computer that has SP3 go to the C:\Windows\System32\ folder and look for the browseui.dll and right click to choose rename.
    * Rename to browseui_old.dll
    * Now go to USB flash drive and copy the browseui.dll file that you place there from the other computer in the the same folder as the renamed file you just did.
    *Make sure you set the file you just copied into your System32 folder to read only.
    So far at my 9th reboot/restart and still the address bar is there with no noticeable side affects to the browsing or computer
    Last edited by omega4enigma; 05-03-2010 at 11:22 AM.

SP3 Address Bar

Thank you for providing such kind of solution i was find it from a long back and keep posting such kind of tips which will be very helpful to all.