Thread: Shared your FAT32 partition between your LINUX and WINDOWS

Shared your FAT32 partition between your LINUX and WINDOWS

Hey use following steps for shared your FAT32 partition between your LINUX and WINDOWS. This is to help create a functioning FAT32 partition which is you commonly shared between your linux and windows operating system.
    For that you have two hard disk partition one for windows and another for your Linux operating system, 2nd partition is extended partition for Linux with some more additional logical sub-partitions.
    Now start to making your new partition using fdisk command. First, go to the command line and as root type:
    telinit s
    This command gives you information if any other user currently accessing this system or not if it's give you message other user access then this is a not a good idea to try and format a disk
    Then type:
    fdisk had //this will take you into the menu-driven fdisk program.
    Then type:
    p //it will list your current partitions, and take a moment to familiarize yourself with the setup. an i.d. of 83 is an ext3 linux native partition, i.d. 82 means a linux swap partition.

next step is you have to create a new primary partition, with a file system type FAT32 (this can be easily accessed by both OS's) to do this, type:

n <---- create new partition
    p <---- primary
    3 <---- label it hda3 (3rd primary)
    now system will ask you for first and last sector, by default to first available sector and last available sector (take up any free space left), if you want to control the size yourself, say create a 5 gigabyte partition, accept the first default, then type +5000M

Now change the fs type with
    t
    c <---- this specifies vfat filesystem

and review what you've done with 'p' to make sure everything is the way you want it. if you satisfied with the all the process then, type 'w' to write the partition table to disk, and exit fdisk.
    (WARNING: this will write the partition table to disk, make sure you haven't changed any of your old partitions)
    Now your partition is create at this time you have to format the new partition, which can be done with mkfs,
    If you get any error message for missing this package, then try to the download the rpm from the internet this package you easily find. Either way, in the end the command should look something like this:

mkfs -t vfat /dev/hda3
    OR
    mkfs.vfat /dev/hda3

Assuming that works, there's just one thing left to do:
    And edit your /etc/fstab to automatically create new partition on boot. Use emacs, vi or any other editor which is familiar for you open this and add the following line:

/dev/hda3 /mnt/windows defaults,umask=000 0 0

After that type:
    mount -a or mount /dev/hda3
    and now you able to read and write to this partition from Linux or windows!

If anything goes wrong, or you have questions, post up.

Re: Shared your FAT32 partition between your LINUX and WINDOWS

hey this is nice trick to Shared our FAT32 partition between your LINUX and WINDOWS i tried it on my computer and now i able to use Shared your FAT32 partition between LINUX and WINDOWS. nice post keep posting. and thanks for sharing your ideas with us.