Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Tips & Tweaks
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 31-08-2009

How to integrate subtitles and MKV in Windows 7

Windows 7 supports most standard audio formats and video, beginning with the formats H264, MPEG4 and MOV files that were not readily recognized in Vista for example. It essentially lacks the support of subtitles and MKV support to reread most downloadable files. Here is the solution.

Windows 7 is rather well supplied with default codecs. In general, it really lacks two elements in Windows 7 (now knowing that the AAC, MP4, MOV H264 are supported or original):
  • Support of subtitles on AVI files through external files as ".srt"
  • Support format MKV (Matroska)

Support for Subtitles

To add subtitles, just theoretically download and install DirectVobSub. But for now there is officially only 64-bit version.

In Windows 7 x86: simply download and install the extension available by following this link.

In Windows 7 x64: you must initially install the 32 bit for the subtitles in Windows Media Player 32-bit (x64 Windows 7 loads in fact a 32-bit enabled by default and a 64-bit version of Windows Media Player).

Then you must install a 64-bit version that works in both Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center. For now, it is not official. It is simply that present in the pack "x64components addon" to Shark007. Unfortunately, the program installs a lot of other drivers which is not necessarily a good idea. It is available here.

Support for Matroska/MKV

Matroska support can be added in different ways.

In 32-bit (x86), simply download and run in administrator mode Haali splitter available by following this link.

In 64-bit (x64), you can, as the subtitle, install the famous "x64components addon" to Shark007. It installs in fact the x64 version of Haali Splitter. It is available here.

There is another solution, perhaps even more successful and effective and that works just as well in 32-bit 64-bit: the new "HD DIVX MORE WINDOWS 7". It is currently in beta. Produced by DIVX Labs, it can be downloaded by following this link.

Not only does this extension supports Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center, but it also generates thumbnail previews of the movies in Windows Explorer.
Old 05-05-2010
Jet Truebow

Re: How to integrate subtitles and MKV in Windows 7

CCCP did it for me the first time around but after I installed DIVX Codec pack (for the thumbnails of non-avi files), MKV subtitles for Windows Media Center was gone (win7 32 bit)

DivX Codec pack (for thumbnails of mpeg and mkv) link

Easy Registry change to enable mkv embedded subtitles in Windows Media Center 32 bit and 64bit (you must have CCCP or FFDShow already)
Old 20-09-2010

I have problem playing subtitles for MKV files in Windows Media Center.
I use "x64components addon" to Shark007 and it works fine in Windows Media Player, but not in Windows Media Center.
I also have Vobsub installed.

Do I need to do some special settings in Shark007 to make it work?
Right now I have marked DirectVobsub as subtitle control.
Old 20-09-2010

I found the problem with the subtitles with mkv files in Media Center.
UAC was disabled. To make subtitles work with mkv using Shark007 the UAC has to be enabled.

To fix the problem I uninstalled the Shar007 codecs,
Enabled UAC,
Restarted the computer,
Reinstalled the Shark007 codecs.

TechArena Community > Software > Tips & Tweaks
Tags: , , , , ,