Thread: How to install linux on your ps3

How to install linux on your ps3

The PS3 is pretty much nearly having a computer and installed Linux on top of it really reaffirms this. Because it's so powerful yet so cheap with Linux installed, it's actually become somewhat of a favored research tool in academia. Hopefully you're excited now as you're going to need that enthusiasm to carry yourself through these steps very involved. Above all else, have patience.

Requirements
    • PS3
    • USB Keyboard
    • USB Mouse
    • Ethernet Cable
    • Computer with Internet (semi fast because you need to download a 700MB ISO file)
    • CD or DVD Burner
    • Blank CD or DVD

Preparing Your PS3: Part 1

Plug your PS3 into your TV, plug in the power cable, plug in your keyboard, mouse, and plug in your ethernet cable.

Turn on your PS3 Scroll Left, Go to Settings> System Settings> Format Utility> Format HDD. (NOTE: This deletes all savedata on your PS3 backup your data before hand with the backup utility if you do not want to lose your saves).

Now select Either Option it does not bother I recommend only giving 10GB to Linux and keeping the rest for the PS3's side.

Obtain your Linux

• Download your favorite version of Ubuntu.
    • Burn the ISO to a disk either a CD or DVD, using a program such as ImgBurn, Nero, Clone CD, etc

Re: How to install linux on your ps3

Preparing Your PS3
    • Put in your Newly burned Linux CD / DVD in the PS3
    • Scroll Left go to Settings> System Settings> Install Other OS, it will search and install off the disk others.bld
    • Scroll Left go to Settings> System Settings> Default System, Select Other OS, select others, and press x to reboot
    • Your console now will not boot to that XMB you're aware of, it will load kboot instead, if you want to load the XMB again just hold down the power button when you turn it on and it will change the default system to the XMB.

Installing Xubuntu

• Assuming you're installing Xubuntu, press enter at kboot. Otherwise the steps will be similar with a different Linux distro.
    • Wait for it to load the live distribution of Xubuntu (About 5 min)
    • Click the install shortcut on the Desktop
    • Follow all the prompts, when the window exceeds your TV screen, hold alt and left click to slide the window around.
    • Remember your username and password, it's real simple just follow all the prompts, it should take about 30-40 mins

Here are the install prompts:

• Select English, Forward
      • Select the city with the time zone you want, forward
      • Select your Language (English), and Keyboard (U.S. English)
      • I recommend to Select Guided Use Entire Disk
      • It'll display press continue
      • Press continue, you should not have any accounts to import
      • Enter your Name, Login Name, Password, and what Network Name you want your PS3 to be. DO NOT FORGET YOUR LOGIN OR PASSWORD, or you will have to reinstall Linux, click Forward
      • Click forward to accept all your settings you provided, it will now start self installing
      • Go find something to do for at least 30 min I think mine took 45 min to do this step.
      • When finished it will pop up a window, just click restart now
      • When it reboots take out the cd, press enter at kboot, wait, then login at the login screen with your username and password.

Re: How to install linux on your ps3

Freeing Up Some RAM
    • Click Application> System> Services, type your password in
    • Uncheck everything but Cpu Frequency Manager, Graphical Login Manager, Hotkeys Management, and System Communications Bus
    • Consider Installing Fluxbox (Only if you feel ok with the risk of having to reinstall linux.)