Thread: Format your Flash drive with NTFS file system when there is no option for it

Format your Flash drive with NTFS file system when there is no option for it

Hey There!
    I'm posting this thread for those who cannot format their flash drives with NTFS file system. Well many a times in the format menu you won't NTFS option for your flash drive. What can you do if you still want to format your drive with NTFS file system? Nothing? Nope you can still format your drive with NTFS file system without any third party software...! Yes that is possible! Follow the steps below :

Right-Click on My Computer > Properties
    Click on Hardware Tab > Device Manager
    Locate your Usb Drive > Right-Click > Properties
    Click on Policies Tab > Optimize for performance
    Click OK
    Close all windows
    Now format your Drive; NTFS option will be now available

All the best...! Have Fun...!

sonac Guest

Re: Format your Flash drive with NTFS file system when there is no option for it

But you have to know, that NTFS file system is very delicate on flash drives. With NTFS you absolutely MUST use "Safely remove" option every time, unless you want to corrupt your data.

Re: Format your Flash drive with NTFS file system when there is no option for it

Thanks! My 16 GB flash drive was formatted in fat32 and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. I would put big files on it and they would get corrupted. but now, it is a fully functional 16 GB NTFS flash drive thanks to your advice thanks so much!

i've been trying to reformatt my flash drive for about 30 mins. this is the second flash drive in a wk. i thought the first one was corrupted so i bought a new one. for some reason my laptop wont let me format it to NTFS. its driving me bonkers! help!

Quote Originally Posted by CameoChic View Post
    i've been trying to reformatt my flash drive for about 30 mins. this is the second flash drive in a wk. i thought the first one was corrupted so i bought a new one. for some reason my laptop wont let me format it to NTFS. its driving me bonkers! help!
    Have you tried converting the pen drive from fat32 to ntfs from the command line, if not then follow the below methods:

To convert an existing FAT or FAT32 volume to NTFS, follow these steps:
    • First of all click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    • After that at the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert:
    • convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs
    • For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS:
    • convert e: /fs:ntfs

Exclamation Re: Format your Flash drive with NTFS file system when there is no option for it

You can also try this.

go to cmd -> diskpart (type) -> drive letter of usb -> clean (type) -> FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="New Volume" QUICK

this does a quick format on the usb with the NTFS file system.