Thread: Disable Defragmentation at Startup In Windows Vista

Disable Defragmentation at Startup In Windows Vista

By default, Windows Vista Defragments System files whenever you start the PC. However, with automatic weekly defragmentation Vista, this feature is unnecessary. All the more it slows down the startup of Windows Vista.

1. To disable, click the Start button, type regedit in the search box and press the Enter key.

2. Pull down the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Microsoft, Dfrg, BootOptimizeFunction.

3. Double click on the Enable.

4. In the field Value data, type N in place of Y, click Ok.

5. Close Registry Editor. The change will be effective from the next time you start your computer.

Re: Disable Defragmentation at Startup In Windows Vista

hello , I Have a problem With Disc Defragmenter With Windows Vista I Have noticed that , I Cannot get graphical display when running Disk Defragmenter and also that Disk Defragmenter runs on a set weekly schedule please help me How can i solve this Thanks in Advance

Re: Disable Defragmentation at Startup In Windows Vista

The loss of the graphical display is by default and there isn't anything that you can actually do about that, other than running an alternative disk defragmentation application.Disabling disk defragmenter so that it doesn't run on a schedule, however, is a simpler nut to crack; and here's how it's done.

1. Click the Start button
    2. In the Search box at the bottom of the Start menu type: Defrag
    3. Vista will search for the word 'Defrag' and should quickly come up with Disk Defragmenter in it's search results. This you should see at the top of search result page on the start menu.
    4. Click on the Disk Defragmenter option in the search results.
    5. User Account Control will open and ask for permission to continue. As usual, if you are the Administrator, Click the Continue button. If you are not the administrator then you will need the administrator user name and password to continue.
    6. The Disk Defragmenter window will now open
    7. Look in the first section of the disk defragmenter window and you will see an option marked 'Run on schedule (recommended).'
    8. To the Left of this option you will see a box with a 'Tick' inside it
    9. Hover your Mouse over the box and then Click the Left Mouse button to remove the 'tick'
    10. All of the schedule information will now appear greyed out. You have now disabled the option.
    11. Finally Click the OK button to Close the Disk Defragmenter window.
    12. You will now only be able to manually run disk defragmenter, it will no longer run to a set schedule.