Thread: Remove Koobface aka Facebook Virus

Remove Koobface aka Facebook Virus

Facebook and other social networking sites are being attacked by a viral worm, commonly known as Koobface.The koobface virus is spreading through facebook and is purported to be a harvester of personal information such as passwords and credit card info. This worm will spread from your account to that of all of your friends if you become infected. Koobface looks for cookies stored on your computer by social networking sites such as facebook, netlog, myspace, bebo, fubar, friendster and livejournal. Evade this annoyance by following the tips below:-

1. Boot into safe mode

2. Remove the following registry keys (note that the entire string is wrapped)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\”systray” = “c:\windows\mstre6.exe”

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\”systray” = “C:\Windows\fbtre6.exe”

HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Explorer\Navigating
    HELP:

3. Delete the following files (and empty recycle bin)

C:\Windows\fbtre6.exe

C:\Windows\fmark2.dat

4. Restart in normal startup mode

Thats it.. If you have recovered from infection, Facebook recommends that you also change your account password as your old password may have been harvested or compromised by the virus.

Re: Remove Koobface aka Facebook Virus

You can try this also to delete Koobface aka Facebook Virus:-

1. This nefarious virus hides in a WIndows directory, under the guise of 'freddy35.exe', and takes control of your computer by spreading itself to others from your computer. Messages that LOOK like they are from friends may contain the links as well. Investigate before you click. Often the subject will contain lines similar to these: Funny Moments, Paris Hilton Tosses Dwarf on the Street, My friend catched (sic) you on hidden cam, Hello You Must See it!!!LOL There may be a link to a YouTube video as well. Curb the urge to click! You may even be told to update your Flash application. This is a ruse... ignore it.

The most important step is: Do NOT click on any links on these sites. The worm is often found in your inbox at these social networking sites. The one I received the other day was from someone named Julaa, instructing me to click on a link to see 'something very important'. While it is hard to resist an alluring line like that, I did resist, and am grateful I did so.

Remember the old adage: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Beware! Curb your curiosity. DON'T randomly click any link.

Now that you know what to watch for, be SURE you have an active firewall and an up to date virus protection. An excellent FREE anti-virus program, that for me works far better that Norton or McAffee is Anti-Vir.

Keep some think in mind to be protected of being infected from this viruses.
    • Always update your anti-virus programs.

• Curb the urge to click

• Ask friends if they sent you a link, to verify it is an actual link and not a gateway for Koobface.

• Be especially cautious on social networking sites.

Great post. Thanks for the useful info. Gives me what I have been looking for…