Thread: Restrict User From Accessing Shutdown Button

Restrict User From Accessing Shutdown Button

I guess from the title itself, you would have recognise the importance of thi s title. You must be thinking that how is it possible to disable a main button from the start menu of windows. You can disable small options but this one is quite a surprise. Actually you can make this surprise happen. This will help most of the small office users or small network users or also with genuine home users who need to restrict other user ability to shutdown their computer.

You are able to hide the Shutdown button inside the Start menu with the help of registry editor and are able to restrict access to shutdown option, and if a user makes an attempt for soft boot Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Re: Restrict User From Accessing Shutdown Button

Steps to Hide System Shutdown Button From Start Menu:

1. To use this facility, you should be initially logged inside your computer with the Administrative Rights priority.
    2. Then Click on Start button and then type regedit in Run command option and then press Enter key for proceeding to next step.
    3. Try to locate the location here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Policies\Explorer

4. Just inside the right hand side panel, have a right click in order to create a new DWORD value with a NoClose name.
    5. Also try to assign a number 1 for its value in data box option.
    6. Try to close the registry editor and then reboot your computer in order to make changes take effect.
    7. And next time, you need to unhide the shutdown button then jsut make a small change in the value of data box option in order to 0 or delete this DWORD item from the list.
    8. Then close the registry editor and reboot your computer for to take effect.

I guess this will help you to disable other user's computer system shutdown option only if you are an administrator and has administrator rights.

hi

I jsut wanted to know whether this steps are applicable for other windows operating system such as vista, 2000, windows 7 etc? I am currently running vista operating system

yes the procedure is applicable for all windows version of operating system. You can try in your operating system which is windows vista. But follow the steps carefully as it is concerned with registry section and disabling an important option from computer startup.