| || |
Join Date: May 2008
Disappearance of the Folder Options in Explorer
A problem of viruses, or damage to system files can cause the disappearance of the menu "Folder Options" (Tools) in Windows Explorer. To recover "Folder Options", perform the following manipulation to the letter.
- Click Start menu, then Run (or Windows key + R).
- Type cmd, a command prompt window (DOS) will open.
- Type regsvr32 / i browseui.dll then press the Enter key, wait for a confirmation window.
- Type regsvr32 / i shell32.dll then press the Enter key, wait for a confirmation window.
- Close the command prompt.
- Open the Registry Editor.
- Expand the tree (folders on the left) to access the subkey
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
- Click on this key.
- Identify the named value NoFolderOptions in the main window.
- If it does not create a new String Value with the name.
- Make a right click on it and choose Edit.
- Enter Value data value 0 to reactivate "Folder Options".
- Save changes, close the Registry and reboot if necessary. You will notice that the option is available again.
A file for registration in the registry can be created to simplify the task:
- Open Notepad, by going to the Start menu> All Programs> Accessories> Notepad.
- Copy this code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer]
"NoFolderOptions" = dword: 1
- Close the window and choose "Yes" to save the file.
- In "File Type", choose "All Files".
- Choose a location to save the file and an arbitrary name provided it ends with. Reg
- Just to double click the file and confirm the action by clicking "Yes" to apply changes in the registry.