Thread: Control Panel shortcuts

Control Panel shortcuts

In Windows XP, the Control Panel has two modes. The default mode, in the Home Edition, is the colourful and friendly Category View, which divvies up the Control Panel applets into nine categories: Appearance and Themes; Network and Internet Connections; Add or Remove Programs; Sounds, Speech, And Audio Devices; Performance and Maintenance; Printers and Other Hardware; User Accounts; Date, Time, Language and Regional Options; and Accessibility Options.

Control Panel shortcuts If you use the utilities under the Control Panel often, place shortcuts to them on the Start menu -> Right-click on the Start button and pick Explore.

Make a new folder within the Start menu named Control Panel (or another name of your choice).
    Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel and select all the programs within it. Drag them to the folder you just created.
    Don't worry when you're told you can't move those files; just pick the option to create shortcuts.
    Now, when you open the Start menu, moving your mouse over the name of the newly created folder brings up a menu of Control Panel shortcuts.

Re: Control Panel shortcuts

You open the Control Panel by clicking Start -> Control Panel. If it's not on your Start Menu, it's easy to add:

1. Right-click the Start button and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
    2. On the Start Menu tab, make sure the first (non-classic) Start Menu option is selected and click Customize.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. In the Start Menu Items list under the Control Panel section, select either Display As Link or Display As Menu. The former (the default) simply displays a Control Panel option on the Start Menu; the latter displays the Control Panel option with a cascading menu providing direct access to each Control Panel applet. I prefer the former because I like to create shortcuts to only those applets I use often – I'll show you how soon; I can do without the others cluttering up my Start Menu.
    5. Click OK twice to exit the dialogs.