Thread: Automate your Disk Checking in windows vista

Automate your Disk Checking in windows vista

Most people don’t think of or want to do things like running Disk Cleanup. An important part of maintaining your Windows Vista computer is routinely running a Disk Cleanup to remove the trash left behind by Windows and software on your hard drive.

Disk can have flaws and problem due to many issues. There are plenty of programs to do disk checking. You can automate disk checking in Vista, to do this choose Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Task Scheduler.

1. In the actions pane on the right, click Create task. Type in a task name and description and you can also check the Run with highest privileges.

2. Now select the triggers tab and set the interval for disk checking. You can set it monthly, daily or weekly.

3. Next select the actions tab and click new button. For ‘Program/Script’, type cmd.exe and in the Add argument box, type “/c echo y|chkdsk c: /f /x. When you have completed with these tasks, click OK

Now disk checking will be automated based on the time you have set.

Re: Automate your Disk Checking in windows vista

Thank you for your help, my disk cleanup or cleanmgr.exe was not working when I start it manually or via task. it comes up for a brief second and then vanishes. now using this trick i can set disk clean up on automate mode.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Re: Automate your Disk Checking in windows vista

If your user account you’re logged in with doesn’t have administrative privileges you must run the Task Scheduler as administrator and follow the steps for disk cleanup to work.
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500