Whenever you install an application, an entry thereof is added in the Start Menu and place the end of the list while the other entries are arranged alphabetically. So that new entries to also put in good order you must right-click anywhere and "Sort by name". But Windows is full of subtleties and small tip can sort this automatically each time a new entry added.
- Open the Registry
- Click on "start", "Run ..." then type "regedit" and click on "OK"
- Go to the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder
- Pull down the key named "MenuOrder"
- Delete the key named "Start Menu (Classic Start Menu) and /or" Start Menu2 "(XP style Start Menu)
- Deleting this key will also eliminate its subkeys, but will have no impact
If you use the Classic Start Menu, you must perform the following steps to avoid that this key does not recur:
- Right-click on "start" then "Properties"
- Click on "Customize ..." then in drop-down list box, uncheck "Use Personalized Menus"
- The changes take effect immediately.