Warning: Reinstalling System Restore will delete all existing restore points.
Go to Start - Run and type %Windir%\INF then press enter.
Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.
Or simply type or paste the following command into the Start - Run box and press enter.
- rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf
If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to one of these locations:
- The i386 folder on the Windows XP CD.
- The i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists.
- The C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder if the systems has been updated to Service Pack 2.
- The retail version of Windows XP (SP2) CD contains the latest version of the files needed also.
- The SP2 CD, (or the SP2 file DOWNLOADED from Microsoft) click HERE.
If after reinstalling System Restore this error message is received, “System restore was unable to start due to a missing Framedyn.dll. Please reinstall the application to fix this problem.” click HERE.
When the reinstall is complete you will receive this message:
"You must restart your computer before the new settings will take effect.
Do you want to restart your computer now?"
At this point click YES.
Reinstalling System Restore from the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD or downloaded files
- Insert the SP-2 CD into the computer
- When the MS Windows XP Service Pack 2 appears, click Continue
- Click Install now on the next window
- The Extracting Files dialog box will appear
- Note the location in the “To Directory:” as shown below, the name will differ. This is where the i386 folder will be located. Normally in the root of C:\ this is where the i386 folder will be located.
- The i386 folder will be located in the directory previously noted.
- Move the i386 folder to a safe place. The i386 folder can also be burnt to a CD for safe keeping.
- On the “Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard above, click Cancel to close the wizard.
- Follow the instructions above to reinstall System Restore and when asked for the location of the files needed to complete the install browse to the i386 folder just saved.
- If the srframe.mmf file can not be located, browse to C:\Windows\System32\Restore folder.
- It may be necessary to browse back to the i386 folder to complete the reinstall.
For more information visit this site.