Thread: Fix for "Host process for windows services stopped working and was closed"

Fix for "Host process for windows services stopped working and was closed"

Once in a while, Windows Vista may pop up an error message that says “Host Process for Windows Services Has Stopped Working”, which normally has problem details point to svchost.exe application and fault module name of rasmans.dll_unloaded. The error also appears occasionally and intermittently in Windows 7, or start occurring suddenly, experienced by early testers who manage to download Windows 7 pre-beta build and install on their system for normal usage.

The exact cause for the “Host Process for Windows Services Has Stopped Working” error to happen is unknown, however, there is a workaround fix to stop the error from ever appearing again.

To fix the Host Process for Windows Services Has Stopped Working error, follow these steps:

1. Open up Task Scheduler.
    2. Expand and go to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> RAC.
    3. Click on View menu, and then enable Show Hidden Tasks (so that a tick appear beside it).
    4. Right click on RACAgent (Windows Vista) or RACTask (Windows 7), and select Disable so that the status appears as Disabled.

Re: Fix for "Host process for windows services stopped working and was closed"

I had this error.
    I uninstalled a VSO driver named pcouffin.sys in device manager.
    Now, there's no problem.
    My suggestion is - Check for conflicts in your drivers.

i went to task scheduler but got an RAC Agent saying no RAC agent and not showing up on the menu. Also don't see the VSO driver called pcouffin. seems the time it is popping up is when i'm trying to open frontierville on Facebook, only that game not others. worked fine this morning though. any help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by travelzan View Post
    i went to task scheduler but got an RAC Agent saying no RAC agent and not showing up on the menu. Also don't see the VSO driver called pcouffin. seems the time it is popping up is when i'm trying to open frontierville on Facebook, only that game not others. worked fine this morning though. any help would be appreciated
    Which operating system have you installed in your system? Normally, this error seems to happen due to some incompatibility between a program on your computer. It could be a lot of different applications, so you first have to determine which program is actually causing the problem. You can do this by viewing the Event Logs on your machine.