Thread: Windows Media Services

xavier1693 Guest

Windows Media Services

I wanted to stream video files I have on my personal website but I want to viewers to login with a username and password first. I also want to do it here on my own hardware with exsisting video files of various format. I need a good set of instuctions or a tutorial as I have never done this before. I need to know I have the right software and hardware to do it first so here is what I have.

My server I have here at home is:
    Intel SR1400 Rack Server with 4GB DDR
    Dual 3.0GHz Intel Xeon Processors
    Two 250GB HDD (no raid)
    30Mbps home internet connection with a staic IP address
    GB Ethernet cards with a GB Router
    Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Enterprise x86 with R2 (R2 not installed right now) but will be upgrading to windows SBS 2008 x64
    Should I wait?

The video files I want to share are my collection of Star Trek Episodes and they all wont fit on the 250GB hard drive on my server. Can I pull video files off the workstation they are on accross the network and stream them from my server? It would kinda suck to transfer 750GB to another drive so they almost need to stay where they are.

What I really need is "Microsoft Windows Media Services for Dummies" or just a good set of instructions or a tutorial. Please Help

Re: Windows Media Services

To guarantee the greatest experience for your users, consider the below basic strategy:
    1. Limit the sum number of users to 50% of the maximum user ability reached in your load tests.
    2. Make sure that in general network use is under 50 percent of the maximum network interface ability or below 50 percent of the maximum throughput ability of the most common bit rate.
    3. Make sure that your server has sufficient obtainable memory to achieve at the preferred performance levels.