Thread: Speed up Firefox by Defragmenting

Speed up Firefox by Defragmenting

SpeedyFox is a small utility for Windows that optimizes only the internal database of Firefox. In fact, you do not doubt it can be, but Firefox has a small base SQLite (like a MySQL database but local) that contains your preferences, your cookies, your history, your list of downloads ... etc.

You can always look in your profile firefox, you'll find a series of files ending in .Sqlite. So, after a time, these small databases become fragmented, and that is what makes your Firefox rowing race to launch too (despite the fact that you have reformatted 10 times!). SpeedyFox will then optimize all this and according to its creator, it can make Firefox 3 times faster! A Mac version is expected soon too!You do not forget WELL CLOSE Firefox, you run the app, it will detect your default profile and it'll just click on "Speed Up My Firefox".

Then suddenly I asked myself the question for the poor Linux users who hang here, and I found how to do with the defragmenter default sqlite3. So to defragment Linux Firefox, install SQLite3.
    sudo apt-get install sqlite3

You then go to your profile :
    ~ cd / .mozilla/firefox/yljbl0in.default
    Then you close your Firefox and for each file. Sqlite content in this directory, you do :
    sqlite3-content prefs.sqlite 'VACUUM;

To speed up the movement a little you can of course make a small loop that goes through your file looking for .Sqlite and launch a defragmentation on:
    for f in ~ / .mozilla/firefox/yljbl0in.default / *. sqlite, sqlite3 C $ f 'VACUUM;

And if you want to make all profiles at once :
    for f in ~ / .mozilla / firefox /*/*. sqlite, sqlite3 C $ f 'VACUUM;'; therefore

You can of course put it in a little script that will do the job automatically when you start the computer.

Re: Speed up Firefox by Defragmenting

And for the Mac fan, as we will not wait for a version of SpeedyFox you install sqlite just like you go to your profile :
    cd ~ / Library / Application \ Support / Firefox / Profiles /

And you run the defrag, as follows :
    for f in * / *. sqlite, sqlite3 C $ f 'VACUUM;'; therefore
    O am sure that this will help you to increase the speed of your FireFox.

Re: Speed up Firefox by Defragmenting

I must say that I have rarely seen something as well done with tips apply immediately. Here are those I loved and implemented immediately, and hoping that it would be useful for you all.
    1. Increasing the cache, which allows users to navigate faster: "Go to Tools, Options, Advanced tab, and Network. You are advised to allocate 150 MB to be quiet".
    2. The address bar: it's a discovery. Otherwise called the Awesome Bar "bar fantastic ... You can take simple words and the bar itself will research. If it does not exist, it will review on a search engine.
    3. The optimization of space navigation "in the menu display, go to toolbar, Customize. there you can change your bars. You do not need the search bar Google / Yahoo / Bing, as the Awesome Bar does. The display small icons saves the place, and reassembling the address bar beside the menu".
    4. Tab management. I still have many tabs open. It must be said already, with the latest version of Firefox, this administration is more convenient: if you click on a link opens in a new tab, Firefox opens that tab just to the right of the tab to start.
      Note the shortcuts for opening these links in new tabs: "CTRL + left click", or when the middle mouse button.
    5. Setting security: "select the automatic update. Go to the options (Tools menu), advanced tab. Check Automatically download and install updates for Firefox".
    6. Finally, there are a host of shortcuts and manipulations with the mouse wheel to go faster....