Thread: Disable Codec Downloads in Media Player

Disable Codec Downloads in Media Player

Hi, guys. Keith.J here
    My Windows Media player Keep Irritating me just by downloading Codec's from INTERNET and slowing down my INTERNET access.most of the times for playing any video files it need to download codec's as i have have another player VLC which can play all files without needing any codecs but whenever i click on any video files Windows media player start downloading codes. is there way to disable these nuances pls help Thank in advance..

Re: Disable Codec Downloads in Media Player

Quote Originally Posted by Keith.J View Post
    Hi, guys. Keith.J here
    My Windows Media player Keep Irritating me just by downloading Codec's from INTERNET and slowing down my INTERNET access.most of the times for playing any video files it need to download codec's as i have have another player VLC which can play all files without needing any codecs but whenever i click on any video files Windows media player start downloading codes. is there way to disable these nuances pls help Thank in advance..
    I dont know why dont you just set VLC player as your default media player then whenever you click any media(Video) files. vlc player will only start only and not your windows media player. Hope it help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Effren View Post
    I dont know why dont you just set VLC player as your default media player then whenever you click any media(Video) files. vlc player will only start only and not your windows media player. Hope it help you.
    Thanks Effren that a good suggestions but i dont How to do that? pls help me if you can show me how to do it?.i will be really greatful to you.

Thanks Effren that a good suggestions but i dont How to do that? pls help me if you can show me how to do it?.i will be really greatful to you.
    Ok Here have a look i will show you how to change your Default media player.

After installing a new music or video player Example VLC, you might find that your music and videos open in the new program instead of your old, favorite program. You can modify the settings in Windows so that your music and videos open in your favorite player.

1. Open the folder that contains the file you want to change.
    2. Right-click the file you want to change, and then click Open With.
    3. Click the program that you want to use to open this file automatically.
    4. Select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK

Hope it Help you.

Ok Here have a look i will show you how to change your Default media player.

After installing a new music or video player Example VLC, you might find that your music and videos open in the new program instead of your old, favorite program. You can modify the settings in Windows so that your music and videos open in your favorite player.

Open the folder that contains the file you want to change.
    Right-click the file you want to change, and then click Open With.
    Click the program that you want to use to open this file automatically.
    Select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK

Hope it Help you.

thanks effren for your help but i was wondering whether i can disable automatic codec's download in windows media player through any registry tricks.

thanks effren for your help but i was wondering whether i can disable automatic codes download in windows media player through any registry tricks.
    yes Actually you can do that .This tweaks allow you to disable the automatic codec download which media player tries if it does no find the required for playback.but be aware do this tricks on your own Risk. as this involve registry editing which if gones wrong create some other problem.what you need to do is

1. open registry editor through START-->RUN-->type "Regedit.exe" (without quotes")

2. Navigate to following in
      [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\MicrosoftWindowsMediaPlayer]

3. Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "NoCodecDownload" and set it according to the value data below.
      "NoCodecDownload"=dword:00000001

4. Exit your registry; you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

yes Actually you can do that .This tweaks allow you to disable the automatic codec download which media player tries if it does no find the required for playback.but be aware do this tricks on your own Risk. as this involve registry editing which if gones wrong create some other problem.what you need to do is

1. open registry editor through START-->RUN-->type "Regedit.exe" (without quotes")

2. Navigate to following in
      [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\MicrosoftWindowsMediaPlayer]

3. Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "NoCodecDownload" and set it according to the value data below.
      "NoCodecDownload"=dword:00000001

4. Exit your registry; you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.
    Thanks you, effren its a nice trick.