Thread: Disable Windows Vista "Restart your computer to finish installing important updates" feature

Disable Windows Vista "Restart your computer to finish installing important updates" feature

Disable Windows Vista "Restart your computer to finish installing important updates" feature

This is a common annoying act from Windows Vista that when you are in the middle of doing something important on your computer when the "Restart your computer to finish installing important updates" dialog comes up, and asks you to restart your computer. We cannot permanently disable the Windows Updates automatic reboot in Vista .So here a small trick to temperorly disable Windows Updates automatic reboot for some time in Vista.

Sure, you can postpone it up to 4 hours, but then the dialog will just come up again. If you were downloading some important files you might not want the computer to reboot automatically.

The quick way to disable the reboot for the current session is to stop the Windows Update service from running. You can do this by opening an administrative mode command prompt.

Type cmd into the start menu search box, and use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open in administrative mode. You could also right-click the item in the menu and choose Run as Administrator.

Once at the prompt, just type in the following:

net stop "windows update"

Don't worry, the service will start right back up when you reboot your computer, but at least you don't have to deal with the restart dialog.

Re: Disable Windows Vista "Restart your computer to finish installing important updates" feature

I got an "access denied" error. Then I tried it again by searching for CMD, then rightclick --> Run As Administrator... Then it did work for me!

Crazy that microsoft doesn't give you the option "no don't ask again, leave me alone, i'm working!"
    Last edited by Maqbool; 16-12-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.