Thread: My IE7 has also stopped working

My IE7 has also stopped working

Hi,

My IE7 has stopped working too. I am using Windows XP SP2 as the operating system. I have tried a system restore, this was successful once. After this, no matter what restore point I select, i still can't get IE7 to work. I know there is a connection as the wireless router is working fine. I have reset and rebooted the wireless router but still the same problem.

The hard wired PC with windows XP sp2 does have a successful connection too. When the error message is displayed, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", the option to diagnose connection problems appears. When this is clicked, another message appears, "Network Diagnostic for Windows XP has encountered a problem and needs to close". When i click "send error report" the report is sent successfully. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks,

buzf355
    Last edited by buzf355; 12-07-2008 at 02:10 AM.

Are you able to surf from another browser

Seems to be a virus or spyware. Which antivirus software you are using?

Unfortunately i have no other browsers installed on the system, hence i am unable to check this. I am also unable to sign into Windows Live Messenger (MSN Messenger). Upon attempting to troubleshoot the problem, windows live messenger runs a series of tests and attempts to rectify the faults. Here, for the first time in going through this process, it has highlighted a potential issue with the "Hosts file" which i know nothing about.

The antivirus software used on the system is ESET NOD32 and Zone Alarm for the Firewall.

Many thanks

buzf355

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I seem to have resolved the problem. The issue was a security update.

For the benefit of anyone experiencing similar problems, one resolution may be to uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)"
    via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right) and reboot the machine.

buzf355

The securety update causes problems with Google search engine. causing IE7 to stall and not able to go online, un_install google, after you can re-install google and all will be fine..
    Before upgrading to vista I had this problem with XP, caused by the same thing, I now have google search engine page saved in favorites, and not incorporated into IE7, Love firefox with all its addons..
    Last edited by Rod2009; 19-08-2008 at 06:48 AM.