Thread: Adding Favourites in IE 10 says Access Denied

Adding Favourites in IE 10 says Access Denied

I have done this before but this time, it is getting too annoying. I am running Win 8 on my desktop since its release, hence having a huge list of bookmarks in IE which are saved in My Documents folder. Now recently i bought a new HP laptop with Win 8 again. I moved all my important data to this laptop as this is going to be my personal device. I also took all my favorites from old PC to new laptop via flash drive. Now when i am trying to add them to Internet Explorer 10, it says Access Denied.

I dont know what is wrong. There is just one account on this PC and that is me, the Administrator. If i dont have the access then who does? How can i fix this problem? Those favorites are very important for me. Please help.

Re: Adding Favourites in IE 10 says Access Denied

As IE is too strong in terms of security, whenever you export the favourites on hard drive, it actually put it in a folder with Read Only attributes. Hence when you move it to other PC and try to import, it dont have complete access to the favorites and you may get Access Denied error. Anyways, here are the steps which can help you deal with this problem:

• On your new Windows 8 system, bring up charms bar, type CMD in the search box, right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
    • Now type the following commands one by one followed by Enter:
      1. cd\
      2. cd users\”your username”\
      3. ATTRIB favorites –r

Thats it. This will remove all Read only attribute for Favorites folder. Now close the command prompt and try again to import the favorites. It should work fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maq.h View Post
    1. cd\
    2. cd users\”your username”\
    3. ATTRIB favorites –r
    Hello Maq.H, thank you very much for the help. This is all i wanted, worked great. I have successfully imported my all favorites to my new browser. Help appreciated.

Hey guys, I am facing the same problem. Whenever I try to add favorites, it says "Unable to create xyz.com. Access denied.". I also tried the above provided CMD steps but that didn’t helped either.

Any other suggestion please?