Thread: IE 10 on Windows 8 wont open PDF files

IE 10 on Windows 8 wont open PDF files

About a week ago i did a clean install of Windows 8 on one of my xp running system. Installation went fine and every thing is working good. But there is a small problem with Internet Explorer. While browsing i come across several PDF files on web which i like to open directly in the browser instead of downloading them on my system. The problem is IE 10 is not able to open the PDF files. Infact whenever i click any such pdf links, a new tap opens with the pdf link and browser crashes.

I dont know what could be the reason and how to fix it. One more important thing is that the problem is only with desktop version of IE, metro IE 10 open those files comfortably. Any idea what to do? Many thanks.

Re: IE 10 on Windows 8 wont open PDF files

Internet Explorer 10 is made much secure compared to earlier versions. This might be very useful for many users but may be problematic for users like me or you. The issue you have mentioned above is not a problem actually but a kind of protective feature implemented in IE 10.

Here is the solution. Open IE 10 desktop version. Click Tools and Internet Options. Here you will find n option called "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode". Simply uncheck the box and save the settings. That;s it. Now try opening any PDF file, it will open fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassandra View Post
    Open IE 10 desktop version. Click Tools and Internet Options. Here you will find n option called "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode". Simply uncheck the box and save the settings. That;s it. Now try opening any PDF file, it will open fine.
    Bit tricky. But that worked like a charm. Many thanks for your help. I was struggling with this since past two days.

Hello Kassandra,

Even I am facing exactly the same issue with IE. Whenever I click any pdf link, it tries to open it in new tab but nothing happens. I tried the steps you mentioned above, that check box is unmarked but still my IE is not able to open the pdf links. Is there any other fix for this?

Please help.

This is surely because of the security level in Internet Explorer 10. If you are not able pdf files even after disabling the protective mode, just try out the following steps and reset the security elements of your browser:
    • Open Internet Explorer.
    • Click Tools > Internet Options > Security tab.
    • Click Reset all zones to default level, and then click OK.