Thread: Easy and free Remote File Managment solution

Easy and free Remote File Managment solution

What can be easier for remote file management. I am having certain options here. Like first going for my own personal ftp server. This will be configured on windows server and will have a dedicated space of 1TB. Now the issue lies with security. And also when the server is stopped things will not work. I want a online service through which I can manage a set of different files and also block users from accessing it.

Re: Easy and free Remote File Managment solution

You can use Windows Server for that. Through Active Directory you can manage a number of different users and assign them set of different permissions. So that they are only allowed to see things as per their permission.

The best thing you can do here is go for a online storage solution. Like 4Shared or Google Drive. Google Drive provides you more space. You can store upto 15GB of file on that and you can manage them with your simple gmail account. I am using this from long time. I keep all my essential files on it. This works really well and has no issue with management. I keep a Google Drive folder on my desktop. I drag the folders in them which are uploaded automatically. I had kept the sync on automatic. The best part of having this service is that you can access your files from different devices. Like for a tablet and smartphone. All you have to do is add the Google drive application. That's all. Google Drive is a simple remote file management utility. The only difference here is that they do not offer you a direct ftp upload. You have to rely on its dedicated app only. It is a cost effective solution. You can increase your space by contacting Google. The files can be shared and view through Gmail. A link of uploaded files is shared with other people. You can assign them different rights. Like a few can read them and few can modify.

In terms of professional solution Google Drive is less effective. But for personal usage this is the best one. You can just upload your files and get it wherever you want. It works fine and has support for cross platform.

Now if you are ready to spend amount of remote file management then there is one more thing you can do. You can buy a web space. You can contact any hosting provider and get a space of 10 to 20GB at a reasonable price. You can create set of different folders and share a direct link. This is plain download tool. That means whatever file you are giving will be downloaded on the person computer. The online viewing is limited to the web browser. Like image files. Which are viewable in web browser but when it comes to office documents then you have to download it. It is secure also. You can apply a good password on it also. And once the files are distributed you can delete it to save your space. I think this would be one of the best way to get a proper remote file management. Here you can use any ftp tool to upload your files instantly with folders.