Thread: cant access links of previous week in browser

question cant access links of previous week in browser

On left side of screen I have my favorites window for easy access to various site. I utilize history tab frequently for stuff I accessed a day or so ago, or previous week.

But when I click on "last week" link, it will not allow me to access link for previous week, or 2 weeks. It has worked before, but not all the time. Does anyone have an idea what this is?

I do delete history after about a month or so to keep it clean, but it is a hassel to continusly access stuff from 3 weeks ago just to keep it active to use later.

I also just got updates from MS and restarted system. After restarting, I could not access links. I also defraged this thing while having morning coffee.

Things were OK until after I did updates and defreg.

Thank you

Re: cant access links of previous week in browser

Well, what internet browser are you talking about here? Are you having the problems in opening all the links or some particular links? It might be possible that some links would require a new tab to open. Also, which update did you install and did this problem started after downloading the updates, if so then choose system restore to get back to a time to solve this issue.

I'm using IE8. I did not see what the updates were since it did it automatically. I would assume they were security updates--the usual basic stuff. A friend told me on the phone that it could have something to do with a partition. I have no idea what it has to do with stuff in history.

For example, if I want to look at something from 2 weeks ago, it will open and websites I was viewing can be accesed. If I want to look at 3 weeks ago, it won't open. Same for 4 weeks-won't open. But links from 2 or 3 days ago, I can access. I also changed setting in options allowing more space to be used for history. That doesn't seem to help problem. So that is why I came here to figure out this anoyance. I may have something I looked at on You Tube and I have to move it down to "today" so I can still see it and have access to it.

I will try restore to see if that works. I hope someone else may have an idea what is going on here.

Thank you.

You can try to run the Internet Explorer Troubleshooter by following the below steps:

1. First of all click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Make sure that Control Panel content is in "Category" view.
    3. Under System and Security, click Find and fix problems.
    4. In the task pane on the left, click View All.
    5. Click Performance or Internet Connections.
    6. In the new window, click Next.
    7. After the troubleshooter has successfully run and fixed all identified problems, click Close, and then try to surf the Internet again

I think I forgot to mention I'm using XP. None of the troubleshooting options suggested (other than category view) were in my control panel. I have 11 GB of hard drive space free. Is that a part of problem? It doesn't make sense that I can't access something from 2 weeks ago in history folder, but yet can access something from 3 weeks ago. In other words, its not consistant.

I don't mean to be a pain, but I just get frustrated that I don't have a close friend to call to ask about why these stupid problems happen and how I can fix myself. I was going to metion my circumstances, but I will hold off on that for now.

Normally, I've had history links for 3 or 4 months with no problems. BTW, in options, it says 810 days to "keep" in history. For space, it says 1024mb.

I think that you can try to change the way in which the websites you have visited are displayed. You can sort them by date, site name, most frequently visited, or most recently visited. To do this, click the arrow to the right of the History button, and then choose an option from the list. Other than that you can try to uninstall and then reinstall IE8 and check if that sorts out the problem.

I understand changing date method. But if I do the latter, I would lose all my links/data? Yes? Does disc space have anything to do with not being able to access links from 5 weeks ago?

I dont think disc space has to do anything with the missing links, there is some kind of settings that you need to enable in the browser history to get back all the links. What you can try out now is, simply open up all the links and then save it in the favourites and then follow the method given by "absolute55" and save it.