Thread: Live Messenger showing Friend offline

Live Messenger showing Friend offline

My friend has two Hotmail/live accounts. I am a friend/contact on one of them. I go into my Hotmail inbox and sometimes the IM window pops up showing my friend there! But she's grayed out, and it's the standard note that she might not be available. But the chat window is there, just like when she's orange, for example. But she's NOT there! And she doesn't get any IM I type into the window (our chats aren't set up to be saved though, so perhaps that's why).

Anyway, it seems she's usually on her other separate Hotmail account when I'm seeing her light blued out and chat window on my Hotmail page.

Has anyone else experienced this? And am I seeing it because they she just happens to be visiting her other IM account? Yet she says she's not IM'ing anyone on that acccount. She just uses it for mail. How does this happen? It's driving me nuts because that little chat window with her on it (greyed/not available) is coming up more and more often. She even said she wasn't even on PC at all last time I saw it. Then how am I seeing her window there?

She's my only contact on there, and has been for months. Yet this problem just began 2 weeks ago....

Help please!

Re: Live Messenger showing Friend offline

I am aware of this issue and have come across some mentioning that it is because of corrupted Windows Live Messenger related files but the exact cause of this issue is still unknown. Anyways for fixing this go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Select Windows Live Essentials 2011 and click on "Uninstall/Change" button.Now In Windows Live Essentials setup windows click on Repair all Windows Live programs for re-installing Windows Live messenger and you are done.

Re: Live Messenger showing Friend offline

Wow, thanks for the solution to the problem. I thought I was going crazy. Apparently she was on her other account when I'd see her. Phew! Thanks again for your help!