Thread: Unable to attach files in Email with IE 10

Unable to attach files in Email with IE 10

I have installed windows 8 release preview and it seems as if there is something wrong going on with internet explorer 10. Today when I was using Gmail for sending a file to my office mate IE 10 got hanged while attaching the file. I ignored it first time, closed IE 10 and tried sending the file again but it did the same thing again. By now I have tried attaching the file several times but I just can’t, this browser just gets hanged. I don’t know if this is specific in my case of there are others facing the same issue as well, so I just wanted to know if anyone here has come across this or have any idea regarding this issue. I use Gmail daily and losing attachment functionality will make it useless.

Re: Unable to attach files in Email with IE 10

I haven’t come across any one reporting similar issue with IE 10, so just answer me below questions so that I can have better idea of issue you are going through.
    • Which is the type of the file you are trying to attach? I mean is it specific to a file or it does the same thing for all files that you try to attach?
    • Is this issue just with Gmail or with other email sites like yahoo and others?
    • Is it specific to internet explorer 10 or you have encountered same response with other browsers as well?
    • Are you getting any error message?
    • Did this issue started just after installing windows 8 release preview or it started suddenly?

My bad, I should have mentioned these things in details, anyways here I go:
    • It’s specific to jpeg file, others files get attached properly. I have tried number of jpeg images but IE gets hanged wile attaching them
    • It’s specific to Gmail, email sites like yahoo and others are working fine
    • Its specific to internet explorer 10 other browsers are working fine
    • I get an error message saying "unable to run rich text editor"
    • Yes it started suddenly, Gmail was working fine previously. I am not sure but I think it all started after installing some windows update.

Is there anything else you want to know for helping me out?

That’s quite weird, anyways you can try running Internet Explorer Performance Troubleshooter for diagnosing the cause of the issue, you can refer to the below steps for running Troubleshooter:
    • First press “Windows key + W”, type Troubleshooting and hit enter
    • Now select “View all” option which will be there in left pane and select “Internet Explorer performance”.
    • After that you can simply follow on-screen instructions for running troubleshooter.

Give it a try and let me know if you get any help from that, best of luck.

If you want then you can try doing a system restore to a point when you were not having any issue. Generally a restore point automatically gets created when major Windows updates is applied, just follow the below steps for doing system restore in windows 8 release preview:

Restoring from a restore point:
    Open control panel select “System and Security” > “Advanced System Settings”> “System Protection Tab” and click on System Restore button.
    Now you will get System Restore Wizard windows, so click on “Next” to continue, select the restore point that might have been created by windows update, chose a restore point, click on next and then on Finish, allowing Windows to complete the restore automatically.

If things work fine after that then you can create a Restore Point for further help which is different from the restore point that might have got created by windows update:

Creating a Restore Point:
    Just Type System Restore in Windows 8 Search bar and click on “Create a restore point” in left pane. Now name your restore point so that you can recognize it accordingly, click on ok and wait until you get a message saying “The restore protection was created successfully”.