Thread: Risk involved in downloading multimedia files from web

Risk involved in downloading multimedia files from web

Multimedia files are commonly found on web. Like short clips, ringtone, etc. I want to know what are the risk involved in this. I am sure there are some virus or malware issue which commonly infects many pc. As a antivirus will never check media files. There can be a virus injected inside the audio or video file. I remember to receive mails outlook which has a video attachment. When I click on that my system antivirus warned a warning related to trojan infections.

Does this still existing today. I download a lot of ringtone from various website. Also I use a video downloader to get files from media sites.

Re: Risk involved in downloading multimedia files from web

When you are using a download helper type tool to get files from media sharing site then there are less chances of getting virus. Because this media sites do not upload corrupt or infected content. Just keep your antivirus on and scan whenever you download a audio or video file.

amit16 Guest

Yes Dwarner your right. Before downloading keep your antivirus on. As we can't say which file has virus with it.

Virus is easy to integrate in web scripts, applications and add-ons. While I had seen that it does not easily integrate with audio and video files. I download ample of audio from torrent site and never face any issue. Audio files are packed in different format and they are run by a audio player. If you find a audio player with the download then assume that it can be infected. I had seen a number of website which offer you to view free movies ask you to download and install a player. But those are risky and you must never do that. Those are the places where you must take care. T

he addon or software which they offer are filled with malware and can cause serious issue. I had face this issue before a number of time when I try to watch free movies. Second thing virus can be easily integrated in popups. The popups show you some offer or information and when you click on that you are infected. You might have notice a flash ad on many site saying that your IP is selected for some price. Never click on that.

Malware are the most common threat. To some extent it is not at all possible to add a virus in media file. Sites like Youtube use FLV format, while some use Quicktime content. This all content needs different type of coding while a attacker look for simple.

That is right. If you remember the famous Active X component update error, which has spread virus in many pc. While visiting a media site like Youtube you will see a popup on the top to update some ActiveX or Flash content, even when it is installed in your system. And when you click on it to install the same automatically the virus enters your system. That is the reason new browsers like Firefox comes with Plug-in finder.

This tool tries to locate the right server source for download and it does not just get any infected file. This time browser are more secure with valid file sources. Flash is one of the most famous update which we have to do at regular interval. Second thing your will also receive browser update every now and then. Do not ignore that. Browser update fixes security bugs in your system and make it more better. If you want to keep your system safe then do run Windows update every time and keep your antivirus definition updated.

Media files format is different. A virus has to execute to expand and infect other files. While media files do not have any of those options. There are very less chances to get infected through a audio or video files. Better keep scanning stuff.

I had not heard that any system is infected due to avi or mp3 file. Media files are packed content. They do not execute on their own, nor they need any type of third party connection for updates or setup. They just are read by a video or audio player. Somehow if you use a tool that reads the media file can contain virus. I had purchased a pirated DVD of movie. This has a small software inside it which runs the DVD movie.

I tried to run that on Windows Media Player but it did not worked. While in that player the movie was working. I was not aware that the player has a virus. After installation my Task Manager stopped working. I cannot terminate any process. The system was slow and laggy. I checked my antivirus which was AVG free edition, but nothing was found. The I bought 1 year license of Kaspersky which detected a huge amount of worm and malware. The source was DVD. I had thrown that disc. It is clear that this kind of threats enter your system through free sources. So avoid using cheap products.

Mp3 is the most common format of audio that is used and shared around web. I had downloaded many songs and they work fine. So as per my experience a audio file does not comes with virus. This has been never heard before.

If you go on Norton forums you will find a similar thread on that. That mention clearly that it is not all possible to attack a virus in mp3. But a virus can be spread through smarter means. Like instead of zip or rar you will find a .exe file extraction process. This file has a executable code which will copy a audio file in your system but on the same hand it will run a virus code also.

I had seen in number of downloads, that there is a weird extraction tool and to get the files we have to run them. Or else the audio does not appears. But along with this you can notice some free games or free music icon on the desktop. This is the start of a virus.

I would take care next time. I blindly run those extraction especially for games. Next time it is better to scan them before getting files out of it. A virus can enter your system in any form, all you need is a good updated antivirus to detect and stop it.