Thread: Download Limiter for Firefox Web Browser

Download Limiter for Firefox Web Browser

I want some help to find a right download limiter for Firefox web browser. I have Opera and Firefox in my system. I want to get some online videos. As my office pc does not allow me to install any third party application I only have the option to use through a Firefox Add-on. I found Video Download Helper which gets the video link very easily. But I do not have a limiter. When I start download it takes time and the Internet connection working around me gets affected. I need some silent way to reduce the bandwidth limit.

Re: Download Limiter for Firefox Web Browser

Do that when people are on break. You can at that time download files. Video Download Help is awesome tool. But there is no bandwidth control provided in it. I hope you can find a alternative way for that. It can be done through about:config, but I do not remember the exact settings on the same.

There was a addon called as Firefox Throttle. This add-on has option to reduce your bandwidth limit. This addon is discontinued and you will not find it on Firefox Add-on site. But still there are some download site that provide the download. You can use it. Remember that it does not run on new version of Firefox. You have to download either 3 or 4 version. The add-on is discontinued an it is not yet developed so it lack support for new editions. It might crash or not at all install. The download is in the form of .xpi file. You just have to right click on that and choose open with Firefox. That's all.

You can see a small installation menu and done. Throttle stays on the right below part of Firefox. You can simply right click on that and configure the download limit. You can reduce or increase it as per your need. I am still using this and it work quiet nicely. I tried to find some download limiter but there are no such tools available.

It is correct there is no download limiter provided on the Firefox add-on site. You have to find some tools to use manually. You can make changes on the same through about:config, and it is not at all complicated. I am using a third party tool for the same. There are some browsers on web which comes with download manager.

There are many download manager for Firefox. One of them is FlashGot. This is one of the popular tool you can go for. You can simply download the file by right clicking on the same. It would make your job much more easier. I do not got the chance to check what it offers, but there are certain settings through which you can play with the existing bandwidth. Another popular download manager which is available for this same browser is DownThemAll. This is some what a accelerator. But there are options to reduce the speed also. The reason to recommend this one is that it offer you a better pause and resume option. You can start a download and resume that whenever you want. It not only works on videos but also on other type of tool. This is one of the most reliable tool you can go for. DownThemAll easily detects links, images, videos, etc from any website and you can download it instantly. The default Firefox Download Manager is very basic with limited functionality only.

I do not think you can get a download limiter in the form of add-on. You have to use some kind of third party software that can guide you for the process. I am trying the same for Opera. But there are less add-ons available which can help you to manage the data bandwidth limit.

I will recommend Firefox Throttle. This works on Firefox 3.6xx version. Other than this it will not work. You can run downloads and keep in safe in the background. I am using a Linux PC. On that I had installed Firefox 3.xx version which comes by default inside it. Then I had added throttle on it. It works quiet nicely in support with Video Download Helper. I just minimize it and no one came to know about the downloads. In my system there is Firefox 14 installed as the default browser and along with I use 3.xx version on Wine.

It is not at complicated to configure or installed. I had checked many types of add-ons but there are very less which works like Throttle. A simple version of this software can be downloaded from number of different website. Other than there is no way by which you can limit the Internet bandwidth silently.

There is no better option that throttle. I tried some virtual tools but they are useless. There are browsers like wyzo which has inbuilt download manager but they are recommended best for torrent client. If you want you can test that. But for that also you have to install a third part tool.

It is right that if you go for a additional web browser like Wyzo you have to install that. And you said that in your office pc you are not allowed to add any third party software. I had checked properly. The only issue with throttle is that it is discontinued and because of which it is not developed or enhanced. I had found this on a download website but for that I have to downgrade my existing web browser to a much older version. If you need some stuff then anyhow you have to adjust with older browser. If you are on Linux pc then this job becomes much easier. Just add Firefox 3.5 on Wine and install Video Download Helper + Throttle. Your job will be done. Do not set the older version as default web browser.

But that solution is only for Linux pc. What about those who are on Windows. I had checked in on Mozilla site. They provide a number of add-ons but they do not provide any better addon for download management. They are only accelerators and the same is for Chrome.