Thread: Netflix not working after updating to Firefox 14.0.1 on Mac Snow Leopard

Netflix not working after updating to Firefox 14.0.1 on Mac Snow Leopard

My system is running on Mac Snow Leopard and I was using Firefox 13 previously, I have updated it to version 14 recently. After updating Firefox I don’t know what’s going wrong with it, whenever I am trying to play Netflix it gives me a message saying to restart back in 32 bit mode. I have tried restarting it in 32 bit mode but I am getting the same message again and again. This keeps on happening in loop and I am not able to get Netflix working. Is there anything that I can try out to get it working??

Re: Netflix not working after updating to Firefox 14.0.1 on Mac Snow Leopard

Which version of Silverlight you are having installed? If you are having an older version then try updating to the latest one and see if you are able to get Netflix working. I am not sure but I think that you are facing this issue because of an older version of Silverlight. Just try out what I have suggested and let me know the result.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with Silverlight but it seems as if there is something wrong with Firefox 14. I am having Silverlight 4.0.60531.0 which is the latest version and I am still getting that message. I wanted to add that I was not getting any such error with Firefox version 13. This message started popping up after I updated it to version 14. I wanted to know if uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox will help or I should settle down with Firefox 13 again. What will you suggest?

Silverlight 4.0.60531.0 is not the latest, its Silverlight 5. Anyways I wanted to add that I have checked regarding your issue and have come across other peoples facing the same message. It seems Silverlight 4.0.60531.0 is not compatible with Firefox 14, so either you will have to update to Silverlight 5 or downgrade to Firefox 13. Silverlight 4.0.60531.0 has been found to be working fine with F 13 .Some people have mentioned that they have tried using Silverlight 5 and F 14and they were able to play Netflix but the video was very jerky and unwatchable as it was dropping frames. If you want then you can give Silverlight 5 a try with F 14 but if face any issue after that then you should settle down with Silverlight 4 and F 14. I think F 14 will need an update to fix its issue with Silverlight 5. I don’t think there is anyways by which you can try to get the latest Silverlight working with latest Firefox currently. Just try out one of the solutions I have suggested and one of them should probably help you out, best of luck.

I agree upon that completely, I have gone through the same issue recently and have tried running Silverlight 5 as well as Silverlight 4 with Firefox 14, and below are the responses I had got:
    • Silverlight 4 - Netflix wasn’t working and I was getting message saying "Restart in 32-bit mode".
    • Silverlight 5 – Netflix worked but the Netflix streaming was quite unwatchable, it was just dropping frames all over

Currently I have switched to Silverlight 4 and Firefox 13 and I am not having any issue with them.

I don’t think Firefox support is aware of this issue by now, I was going through the same problem and I had contacted Firefox support but they just suggested me to update Silverlight. I told them that I have updated to Silverlight 5 and the issue is still there but they just said that they are not able to reproduce the same issue at their end. God knows what’s going on, currently I have downgraded Firefox like you all and will like to know if anyone comes across any update on this issue.