Thread: Not able to send file from Pidgin to Yahoo Messenger

Not able to send file from Pidgin to Yahoo Messenger

I am facing a issue with Pidgin. My friend has a Ubunut laptop. For chatting he asked to configure my Yahoo account on the same. It worked well. But when I drag a file to send on Yahoo ID, there is no response on the other side. I have to share files instantly and according to that Yahoo Messenger is the best option.

I cannot do anything here except chatting. Can anyone help me for this.

Re: Not able to send file from Pidgin to Yahoo Messenger

It looks some issue with Pidgin. Try to uninstall that and then re-install through Software manager. You can remove it by right clicking on the shortcut icon and then clicking on Uninstall. Once you are done with the same launch Software Manager and search for Pidgin back again. Re-launch the same and then check back. It might work in better way. There might be bug with pidgin.

I am facing this issue from long time. I had scanned many forums for the answer, but not found anywhere. I had found that ample of users are facing the same issue. Yet the developer has not responded or did not provided any patch which can help us to send file from Pidgin to Yahoo. It is a bit complicated to understand why this does not work.

But when someone send files from Yahoo, it is well received in Pidgin. Does there is some issue with the chat messenger itself. Does Yahoo do not accept Pidgin connection. I am sure there would be some way from this. When I searched in Software Manager about Yahoo Messenger, I found too tools. I had installed them also wondering that it will work. But still nothing happened. It has not became complicated to use Pidgin. I also wonder, that why Yahoo has not yet released any version for Linux distros. Yahoo Messenger is a free software, so to some extent this should also available for Linux based system.

You are right. Yahoo has not at all provided any version for open source platform even though it is free. You can easily locate Skype. Pidgin is a good instant messenger. But why it does not sends a file is a mystery. Does this is the inbuilt bug or we had just found this.

To some extent if you are behind a Firewall then the files will not go. I do not know how this is connected to Pidgin, but this is the answer that I found from web. I had met a guy who face the same issue. When I started discussing him about this issue, he said that he work on his home wifi network. This is protected by a Firewall. When someone sends him the file from Yahoo, Pidgin receives that well. But when he sends from Pidgin to Yahoo Messenger, it does not work.

The screen shows transferring at 0% while the guy on the other end do not receive anything. He just randomly tested the same by turning off the firewall it worked. I am not able to figure out how this is actually associated with each other. But does there is any fix for that. Any updated version of new instant messenger released for Ubuntu or Linux Mint that can remove this thing out.

Nope. I had not yet find any solution for that. I had tested different type of chat messengers but that does not worked at all. The Wine which claims to run .exe file well on Linux, too crashes on Yahoo. That is a really weird stuff I am also facing.

I had some workout for the same. Long before I found a Yahoo Messenger RPM package. This package is still available on web. This is Yahoo Messenger for Red HAT. You can also use this on your Ubuntu. For that first you have to download and install Alien. This is a tool that converts a RPM package to DEB(Debain). DEB packages worked well in almost all type Linux Distros. After configuring Alien you have to convert the RPM Package to DEB and then run the setup.

The messenger is very basic and it supports File Transfer. I had not yet tested but I am sure this is going to help you a lot. For that follow this. Go in Terminal and type -- sudo apt-get install alien dpkg-dev debhelper build-essential. This will install Alien and then run -- sudo alien nameofpackage.rpm.

Add the name of package properly and hit enter. Once you get the .deb version just run it by right clicking or from terminal whichever you found easier. If all worked well you will find a very basic version of Yahoo Messenger for your Linux system.

I had tried that, it does not work. I had installed Alien and then tried to convert the rmp package to deb. But ample of time I face error that package not found. I cannot understand what wrong I am doing here. This is getitng more complicated now.

Pidgin faces issues with transfer from one end. While other end works quiet fine. We might need to compromise with that. I think there would be a better alternative for the same in future.

I hope someone would work on this and get a permanent solution. I checked on many forums, but in maximum plus there is only issue mentioned. There are not fix available yet for the same.