Thread: How to Manage different Search Engines in Linux Mint

How to Manage different Search Engines in Linux Mint

I need help to manage different type of search engines on Linux Mint. By default I am use to Firefox. But I can switch to different browser if there is a requirement. I want to different browsing for various testing purpose.

I work for a website and want to find out at what place the website displays in various search engine. Now is there a way by which I can list different search engines easily one by one. Or is there a way to search single keyword on different search engine at the same time.

Re: How to Manage different Search Engines in Linux Mint

In Firefox at the top right you can see the search engine box. It consist of Yahoo I think. You can add Google in that also. I have 3 search engines configure over there. When I search for term I have to manually copy paste the text in each of them one by one. That is a bit time consuming.

I do not thing there is any easy alternative for what you are talking about. You can try bookmarking stuff or add different search engine in the browser toolbar. This toolbar will give you a click button to launch the website. This is somewhat easier. How much search engine do you want to configure. I think there is way to add that. I am using Opera and in that you can manage from Preferences. You can add or remove search engines on the basis of your requirement.

The tool that you are asking about needs a good research. I am not saying that it is not at all available, it is but for that you have to test different product. Last time I have to check a website how it loads on different browser. Instead of manually installing and checking each of them I found a website web that helped me to test the site in various browser instantly and generated a report. I think this type of site can help you out. Just go on Google and find some site for search engine testing. You might get good results on it.

If you want to add a Google search engine in your Firefox list then you have to do the following. For that click on the drop menu on the search engine box and then click on Manage Search Engine. You will land on Linux Mint website. From there click on the icon of Google Search.

Now go back again on the drop down bar and there you can see a option Add Google. Click on it and done.

That is actually a tricky issue for many people. I had checked ample of article based on that which says that you have to play with some tools or need to work manually. But there is a option available. There is a online service called as Addict-o-matic. This service helps you to get data from different search engines. It is best for comparing sites behaviour on various search engines. Addict-o-matic offers you both advance and basic support. Go on the website and then type the keyword in the search box. The default information that you will recieve is from Bing, Google Blog Search, Twitter, Youtube, Flickr, Ask, Wordpress, Delicious, etc. If you want to uncheck some options or add, you have to click on Available sources. There you can tick and choose which search engine you want. Here is the short list of options available in that.

• Google News
    • Google Blog Search
    • topix
    • YouTube
    • technorati
    • Yahoo News
    • Blinkx Mainstream Vid News
    • Flickr
    • Newsvine Tags
    • Tweetmeme Links
    • Delicious Tags
    • Digg
    • Addicto Top Blogs - Bloglines
    • Truveo Video Search
    • Bloglines
    • Yahoo Top News Sources
    • Ask.com News
    • Google News Images
    • Twitter Search
    • Yahoo Web Search
    • Wordpress.com
    • Bing News
    • Wikio
    • Twingly Blog Search
    • Friendfeed

That was a good thing I found here. I was too looking for something. But what about Google Search. The above service that you had mentioned find information from Google News and Google Blog Search. Doesn't that work on Google Search.

You can try a tiny Firefox add on Web Search Pro. This will give you want you want. Web Search Pro allows you to find result from different search engine. It is much easier to use. It works through drop down menu where you need to insert various search engine urls. Popular search engine are already listed in the same. You have to choose a term and then drag the same to the search boxes. As you keep dropping the selected area assigned with specific search engine will show you result. Now this reduces the time of manual way of searching. There options through which you can customize the same as per your need. With Quick Type Search you can switch between different types of search engine quiet easily.

I had tested this and found it very helpful you must try this out once before using some online service. Because on that the results depend on the network bandwidth or the IP of that site. You might not get information related to your geographical location.

Web Search Pro is just another add on which offer different way of manually searching. It just add all the search engine inside single window. While in manual you have to open new tab for that keyword and click on search. This things is being eliminated, but it works in the same way.

Did anyone tried Searchbastard. This is also a Firefox addon providing you option to search a single term in different search engines. It is like a tab browsing stuff. There are small buttons on the top which are of different search engine. When you click on Google then you will see results by Google, while if you click on Bing the tab changes.

This is how it works. It does not arrange everything at one place, but gives you different buttons on which you can click and search term. You do not need to open each and every search engine and type the keyword in that. It does that automatically. It is best way to reduce your time of searching on different sites. I will recommend you to try this out. There are no other add-on I can found similar to this.

What I found that there is no service on web that can directly search for a keyword in different search engine. You have to carry a manual process. This add-ons to some extent reduces the time of typing and clicking on search. That's all. There should be some better alternative for the same.