Thread: Opera 12 breaks Aero

Opera 12 breaks Aero

I am using Opera 12 on Windows 8 for some days and I am observing that it has lot many glitches in it. The interface of the Opera 12 breaks in Windows 8 leading to an awkward looking interface and oddly placed components. I have tried many things, but nothing has helped. This is not just the problem, but still more exists which leads to copying of data from read only text fields. Isn’t there any cure for this problem, can someone tell me about it?

Re: Opera 12 breaks Aero

There are many problems that Opera 12 suffers when used in Windows 8. Actually, the Opera 12’s interface is not properly built for Aero interface of Windows 8. Opera has released a patch to rectify this problem which you can download from here. This will solve the problem of improper interface and copying of text from read only text areas. Also many resizable UIs where you can change the size of the Windows form, here the elements in it will change their positions awkwardly. Even this problem will be solved after using the patch. I haven’t tested much of this patch, thus I have seen only this problems being rectified.

Many applications or forms that are based on Flash have problem when we type some words in it. In any Flash game or online form, if you needed to feed any data, then Opera 12 when installed in Windows 8 would freeze or sometimes even crash. So this problem has also been solved. Also many times when typing in an online form or application which was Flash based, while typing, the background image or content would disappear, this problem to have been solved in this patch. Also if you used Ctrl + V to paste something from other source in Opera 12, the content would get pasted twice. This new patch from Opera solves this bug too.

Opera 12 when installed in Windows 8 would disable certain keyboard shortcuts by default leading to inconvenience for some users. This problem is now solved using the patch. Another problem that existed was when one tried to bookmark any web page, to do this when one clicked on the star button on the URL bar, Opera 12 would crash.

This was the most common problem and almost every user suffered from it. But now with this patch the problem is solved. Many users had also complained of the images being disabled by default when the web browser would start. With this patch this problem will also rectified.

Being a web developer, I had to look out what new features this Opera 12 will provide. So I went on testing some old web sites that I had made. I tested the offline version as well as online version.

The saddest thing that I found was that Opera 12 didn’t open many websites properly. The loading would complete mid way and the half loaded page would be seen on the screen. Also some websites took lot of time to load. Even when the browser crashed, the tab restoring feature won’t open all the tabs properly. Some tabs would go missing or the sequence would be improper.

Also navigating within the tab while any tab would make the web browser laggy and sometimes freeze it for short time, maybe for 3 to 4 seconds. This all problems have been solved.

Some problems which existed on Mac exclusively when Opera 12 was run would cause problems in the gestures for touch screen. Opera 12 wouldn’t detect the touch on the screens properly. Sometimes one needed to tap on the screen more than once or many times the placement of the touch and the element would be messed up.

If I taped on any button, nothing would happen. But if I clicked some few centimeters down then the button would work properly. Also some problems in event handling were seen, but they were minor issues with no much reason to worry about.

In the Windows version of Opera 12, some problems were commonly seen. These problems were seen in every version, which is on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. When the HWA was active on Opera 12, the font looked different than its normal version. Many icons like buttons or logos would be seen in black color with HWA active. The theme background would be seen in majority when tab preview or mouse Gesture UI was in use. Many times when watching video or playing games that needed Adobe Flash, the web browser would crash if full screen was chosen. When used on computer with GPU having DirectX 10 compatibility, Opera gives black areas when certain shortcut are used, mostly, on Alt + Enter.

Most of the keyboard shortcuts don’t work in Opera 12 when used on Linux. I don’t know if this problem exists on every version of Linux as I use Linux Mint 12. Also Flash application and games don’t recognize mouse clicks and gestures. After applying this patch, these problems were solved.