Thread: Windows 8 Consumer Preview issues with Opera 12

Windows 8 Consumer Preview issues with Opera 12

I have installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my laptop and I have started installing the necessary softwares on it. After installing some softwares, I deiced to install Opera 12 and set it as the default browser. But after installing and starting the browser, I found that it was not working properly. The toolbars and the buttons were missing. All I was getting was blank panels and some other stuff. Can someone tell me what is happening here actually?

re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview issues with Opera 12

The problem actually in this case is that the graphic driver of Windows 8 doesn’t work properly with Opera 12. Since it is the consumer preview, I think that the graphic drivers will change later on as proper version of graphic driver. This problem is usually noticed on computers that use Intel’s processor. The driver that is built in Windows 8 is incomplete and thus it leads to problems with certain softwares. Opera 12 has turned out to be inconsistent with use of Windows 8 consumer Preview. The version of Windows 8 that you must be using must have build 1325. The later versions of Windows 8 consumer preview came with graphic drivers having build 1328 which was rather more complete and compatible version.

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview issues with Opera 12

Another problem that I am facing in Opera 12 which is installed on Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my PC is that it fails to run the extensions and add-ons. The add-ons get installed in the Opera 12 without any problem. But when I click on the add-on logos or shortcuts to make them run, Opera 12 just freezes. Many add-ons that run fine don’t provide the web page that consists of settings and information of the add-on. In short, I am having trouble with the extensions and the add-ons of Opera 12 in my Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Can’t figure out why it is happening. I have installed some 13 extensions and add-ons that I used on Opera 12 when installed on Windows 7 and only 2 of them work properly.

I have noticed that when you are running Opera 12 on Windows 8 Consumer Preview the usage of processor is very high for it. I don’t know how it happens, but to optimize the performance, I tried to run it in compatibility mode. I also tried running it on Windows 7 compatible mode, but still the usage was high. I tried to set the priority to low to restrict the resource consumption, but still nothing happened. I don’t have any third party applications installed, neither have I used much of Opera 12. I am even logged in using the administrator account. But still the consumption of resources fails to be under control for Opera 12.

I have noticed that when you are running Opera 12 on Windows 8 Consumer Preview the usage of processor is very high for it. I don’t know how it happens, but to optimize the performance, I tried to run it in compatibility mode.
    I think that the developers of Opera 12 had figured out that it will be consuming enormous data and processor speed when used on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. There are three options that I found which might help to curb the unnecessary resource consumption you see. CPU EIST Function is an option in Opera 12 that will dynamically control the voltage and the resources needed for operation of Opera 12 on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. The performance of Opera 12 will automatically be adjusted according to the resources that are available. C3/C6/C7 State Support is another feature that controls the functioning of the processor along with Opera 12. It will halt the processor when not in use or if another process needs resources to work upon. ACPI Suspend Type S3(STR) too is similar to . C3/C6/C7 State Support, but instead of halting the process for short time, it halts the process.

I am using Opera 12 on 32-bit version of Windows 8 Consumer Preview and it is working fine. The add-ons are working fine, there is no freezing or crashing, no disappearance of buttons and panels or no over resource consumption. I don’t know which version you are using, but things are working fine in the 32-bit version. After reading the problems, I have figured out that some of the problems like freezing or disappearance of the panels must be problem related to hardware of the computer and not the software. Windows 8 Consumer Preview must not be properly compatible with the hardware in use and thus such problems must been coming up.

I think that anti-virus software must be responsible for improper working of Opera 12 in Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Opera 12 needs to be connected to the internet. Since this is the consumer preview of Windows 8, anti-virus softwares must be checking every file and bit of data thoroughly for malicious or suspicious content.

You can try disabling the anti-virus for time being and try using Opera 12. Maybe it is requesting for some data and it must not being transferred at your end. Thus such problems must be occurring.