Thread: Is it safe to keep important files on a free cloud server

Is it safe to keep important files on a free cloud server

I am not happy to keep my all files on a cloud server. I had seen there are number of services which gives you cheaper cloud storage. Among them free ones are like Google Drive. You can keep your files, and view them web browser directly without the need of any application. But one thing that makes me uncomfortable is storage security. Are they completely secure.

Recently there was news that Yahoo was hacked and many accounts faced issues. What if someone keeps important files on web, and the same is leaked out. Attackers can simply find out the way how to penetrate this servers. I am not talking about the current scenario but in future if some vulnerability appears then that can break many faith. I am not pointing on y hosting provider relate to security issues. Rightnow I am using Google Drive.

5GB free space is more than enough for me. And yet I had not faced any issue related to virus or malware. It works cool. For space, and service I will have to upgrade to better server. But that should not put my data on risk.

Re: Is it safe to keep important files on a free cloud server

Unless and until you are not engaged with some branded hosting provider, you will remain safe. If you go with cheaper plans, and those providers which are never seen in market before, then reliability does matter.

That is right. Reputed providers keep a eye on the same. They are in market to give secure service and once their servers are hacked, their goodwill dies. Vulnerability is generated from the server source. The attackers does not create them. So it is necessary for the provider to ensure and check regularly for software related bugs. Web is very big, and it is not possible to keep a eye on everyone. Somehow the attackers put malicious code in the server, which give them easy access. But that does not means it is easy. Antivirus companies tries to give top notch product, to give maximum protection.

TrendMicro is among one of them. It is giving a cloud security package, and if a server is protected you can see the logo listed on site interface. That says it is protected. Maximum cloud server are ssl locked. No one can enter without a proper authentication. That is the reason cloud server stays more secure. Somehow it is very complicated for anyone to enter this server and manipulate the files. Even if some enter, the server admins are notified with auspicious activities and they take necessary measure before any disaster.

It looks complicated to me. What I know that web is never secure. Companies do spend a huge amount to implement the most complex technology and if any of those servers are affected you are not the only one to lose something.

I think you are guys are taking stuff too seriously. Today as attacks upgrades so the security applications. It was not possible for us to buy a internet security pack some years ago because of cost. I even remember to pay rs.7000 for Symantec antivirus for my single laptop. But the same has reduced to Rs.450 if you buy Net protector or any other better antivirus. So this says that people are more aware today.

Due to availability of better security standards and practices the cloud server providers stay more protected. It is face that attackers never sleep quietly. Somehow they try to access them, and that is done by some inner guy. A thief can only enter inside the protected building if he has the blueprint. So on that basis the thief makes a plot and enters. This are how stuff work on web also. Servers are affected due to vulnerabilities. This vulnerabilities can appear any time. Some appear due to updates, while some appear due to software bug. We do not need to worry on that.

The server providers had to take care about the complicated stuff. When I upload any files on a cloud server either free or paid, I password protect them. I work on Microsoft Office mostly, because the documents created in it can be open in any browser. Due to password protection the file remains locked. And even if the attacker had those file, he will have to work had to break the password.

I do the same. I pack the file in rar archive and password protect them. I have around 4gb of data stored on Google Drive. The password protection helps to stay secure while other things are checked by the providers

Till today I had not yet heard about cloud server getting hacked. What I know that the server are protected and they work on latest security standard. You cannot upload a malware file on it. Services like Google Drive gives you a fair option to share files and modify them. Some years ago people where paying for this and today you are getting that for free. And free does not means the server is not secure. They are protected through web firewall. Other than this there are companies who delicately provide security services to protect a cloud server. You can check the security status by contacting the provider whose service you are going to purchase.

They will provide you in detail what they are using. So if you find that safe then you must go for it or else switch to some better one. Google also provide business plans at cheaper rate. You get more benefits and higher storage space in the same.

It will be wrong to say that cloud server are not completely secure. You must read the security policies of provider which is provided on the official website. There you can find the appropriate answer.

Server are vulnerable to attack. They are not 100% safer. There are chances when something bad happens, and attackers just gets a entry like what happen to yahoo. There are thousands of account that were hacked and after that yahoo came to know about the same. So this are like instant. If something happens, the service providers are not notified.

And keeping a 100% bug free web server is to some extent not possible. Because service providers try to give best service. They add applications, add-on, etc which can be buggy. Everyone is not Google.

I am using Google Drive and quiet happier with the same. Yet there are rare news about cloud server hacked and data leaked. Security and attacks both go hand in hand. If something happens, something better is implemented.