Thread: Not getting Opera as a default browser in Windows 8 Release Preview

Not getting Opera as a default browser in Windows 8 Release Preview

I am a huge fan of both Windows and Opera. I know it’s a weird combination but from the initial days I have been using Windows as my preferred OS and Opera as my default browser. Even when I installed windows 8 Consumer Preview into my machine I kept Opera as a default browser which ran smoothly without creating any problem.

Now the problem is with the windows 8 Release Preview. Just few days ago I switched from Windows 8 Consumer Preview to Windows 8 Release Preview. And just after the installation I installed Opera v11.64. Everything was well and fine until I tried to set the installed opera version as the default browser in my computer. Actually it wasn’t happening. Every time I check the “Set Default Programs”, Opera was not displayed over there. I don’t think windows 8 Release Preview has enabled to keep Opera as the default browser. Is the problem only with me or other Windows 8 RP users are also facing the problem?

Re: Not getting Opera as a default browser in Windows 8 Release Preview

You are not the only one with this problem my friend. Even I am not being able to enable Opera as the default browser after installing windows 8 Released Preview into my machine. i just upgraded the windows 8 version and rest everything is as it is. Even in windows 8 CP I used to run Opera 11.64 version but I never had any problem with using this browser as the default browser but from the time I installed the same version in Release Preview I am unable to set Opera as default. Looks like Microsoft has not really managed to get the Release Preview as compatible as Consumer Preview. Hopefully they will soon manage to get it working with the next upcoming version of Windows 8. Until then I will manage to run some other version of Opera.

For your kind information the problem is neither with the Release Preview nor with the Opera version, as I am smoothly able to run and also set Opera as the default browser. My Windows 8 Release Preview didn’t show any problem or issue until now while even accessing Opera. Let me tell you that I am running Opera 12. I am sure even Opera 11.64 will work the same in my system as 11.64 is older version than Opera 12. if in case you are finding it difficult to work with Opera 11.64 then why don’t you simply upgrade your Opera to v12. Also let me tell you that I am running windows 8 Release Preview 32 bit. Upgrade your browser and check whether you see any difference or not.

You need not have to upgrade or downgrade your Opera browser as the problem has nothing to do with the Opera version. The actual problem is with the 64 bit of Windows 8 Release Preview and not with the opera version or the complete OS. If you notice, users with windows 8 RP 32 bit aren’t facing any problem they are easily able to set Opera as default browser in their machine no matter what version of Opera they are running. i am running 64 bit version of RP and I am having no problem with running opera 12 into it.

Running Opera 11.64 with windows 8 Release Preview 64 bit version is going to cause the problem. it has been already been proved that 64 bit has some problem with the working of 11.64 Opera version. however currently this is the preview version of windows 8 the developers of windows 8 will definitely come up the proper fix in the further upcoming RTM version by August.

For now if you need to run Opera as a default browser in windows 8 Release Preview then the best combination you can have is Opera 12 with windows 8 RP 64 bit or 32 bit. Avoid version 11.64 as much as possible with windows 8 RP.