Thread: Difference between Maxthon 2 and Maxthon 3

Difference between Maxthon 2 and Maxthon 3

I had once used Maxthon 2 in my computer. I liked it but I didn’t use it much as I am habituated to Google Chrome. Now I saw that Maxthon 3 has released too. I am thinking of switching over to Maxthon 3 as I find it promising and much better than Google Chrome. Before I start using Maxthon 3, can someone tell me what’s new in Maxthon 3 that was not present in Maxthon 2? It would make the use easier as I will start using the feature I need the most?

Re: Difference between Maxthon 2 and Maxthon 3

A new feature by name Maxthon passport has been introduced in Maxthon 3. Using this feature you can create an online account on Maxthon and it will save your preferences, Bookmarks and some other details. Every time you log into Maxthon 3 using this passport, these preferences, bookmarks and other details will automatically load. You can use this from any PC you want to. This feature was not present in Maxthon 2. You must have similar feature in Google Chrome too. It is called Google Sync. It works in similar way and is no different. So I think that you will find working of Maxthon 3 closer to Google Chrome.

Maxthon 3 has a magic fill button. Whenever you are filling any form, you can save the information using this magic fill button. So for example, if you fill a form where you have given name as ‘Thomas Hewitt’, Age as ‘32’, State as ‘Texas’, Occupation as ‘Butcher’ and so on, then you can save these details using this option. So when filling the next form you can just click on this button again and it will find the data that you had saved previously and automatically fill the required spaces without you having to manually type everything. This will save a lot of time of filling the form and you can spend time on other things.

Another good things about the magic fill button in Maxthon 3 is that the data that is saved in the magic fill button is secure and won’t be passed on to other third party website or application. Another good thing is that you can set he browser to restore the last browsing session without prompting. I know that this feature is available in many other browsers and was present in Maxthon 2 too. But this option is shown only when you close the browser in an improper way or PC crashes. But here in Maxthon 3, you can have it as default opening setting. So after closing the browser, you can again start where you ended automatically.

Another great feature that has been added in Maxthon 3 is that of creating own custom layout for the browser. One can arrange the toolbars, side bar, buttons anyhow one wants to. You can create a layout according to your need and preferences that will make operation easy for you. I think this is the feature that will get many people to use Maxthon 3. Another good customization option is that one can group certain tabs. For example, one can group tabs related to sports websites in one group. So when needed they can be launched all together to get information from different sources. This will be one useful option that will be used by many people.

Another modification features that is added in Maxthon 3 is that of adding background image to the browser’s tab. The main tab where you will see windows for saved websites can have a background image to beautify. There is nothing new about this feature, but let me tell you that it was not available in Maxthon 2. Maxthon 3 also has a button for instant screen capture. If you liked some picture or have some document to share. But the website stops you from saving the image, then you can straight away get a screenshot of the webpage. There is a button that looks like camera present on the toolbar. You can either capture whole page or select a specific are to take screenshot of.

In Maxthon 3, a new reader mode has been added for use. Using this mode, you can set the browser to show an article in reader mode. When activated, the browser will only display the main article without any content from sides of it. If you zoom it, you will only zoom the central part and nothing around it. Except the centre part, that is the article which you want to read, everything will be darkened. This is useful when reading from a clustered page. If you are in a dim lit area, then a bright page might become pain for your eyes, even the white colored background for the page becomes troublesome. So using the night mode, you can reduce the intensity of the bright color n the page. As you reduce the intensity, the white color will turn into grey. This will reduce the strain on your eyes and you can read without straining eyes. This is a good feature added in Maxthon 3.

A new shortcut has been added to restore the closed tab again. Many times it happens that when trying to switch to another tab, one mistakenly clicks on the close tab button. Many browsers have keyboard shortcut by ‘Ctrl + Shift + T’ to restore the closed tab. But not many people know it. So here in Maxthon 3, a direct button has been added for this purpose. It will be very helpful when using a huge number of tabs at a time.

The best feature that has been added in Maxthon 3 according to me is the option to save the videos. Before this we had to use some third party add-on or plug-in to video from streaming websites like YouTube. But now Maxthon 3 has integrated feature in itself. Which means as soon as you start a video and take mouse on it, a pop-up will emerge on top of it. Here option to save it or download it and then play it in Windows will appear. One can save the video on hard disk in one click and view it from hard disk itself. By reading above all comments I think that in Maxthon 3, developers have added all the features that we needed in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Before this browser, I used to add plug-in to get these features. But now a browser with all of them together will be better than other browsers.