Thread: Is there any portable version of Google Earth or Google Maps

Is there any portable version of Google Earth or Google Maps

I am trying to find a portable version of Google Earth or Google Maps. I need some maps to be copied in my laptop. I do not need the entire part just some section of my city. I have to visit a number of places. So I am looking for some software that can help me to copy the maps and use it as I use it on internet. I have a ultra-portable eepc laptop. Thanks.

Re: Is there any portable version of Google Earth or Google Maps

You are asking for some kind of map grabber tool. Yes there are some tools. The one which I know is called as Google Map Saver. This software does not provide you additional features, but it helps you to save a image file of your existing map. You can use this to take a image copy of maps and them mark on that the places you are going to visit via some image editing software. It provides you maximum 12000×12000 image size which is quiet large. You can save as big image as you want and then zoom in to find the location details. The software needs internet to save maps. There are two boxes on the top. At the first box you have to enter your location and on the second you need to add the resolution. Just click on capture. You can also assign what image format you want. The tool is very easy to use and simple. You can capture as many images as you want.

There is another similar tool which does the same job and it is called as GMapCatcher. It is provided on code.google.com. You can setup the map and then click on download. You will get the required file.There is a mobile version of this app available.

There are some downloader tools available on net. You test some of them. But I am not sure they work so better. If the image of area you are going to take is quiet large then you need some tool that can give you detailed image. When you drag a map it loads the area on that part. It is quiet necessary that you should arrange for some internet connectivity on your laptop.

Or else you can get confused at someplace. There is one more tool called as Google Maps Downloader 6.73. I had used this tool and it worked fine. It saves the file in some .gmd format. But you can get a bmp file from that. It gives you a quiet a nice range of maps downloaded. The download size is just 900kb. Download the maps you need from this and then copy them to your laptop. You can use any image viewer to view the areas and roads.

The problem with this software is that you need to provide the longitude and latitude of location. You can find that on Google maps. Just right lick on the area and choose whats here. You can see the both in Google map search box.

Do not use Google Maps Downloader. It is a useless tool. I had tested that and it just give you all images of that area. Like the symbols, icons, etc. It is worthless.

There are not better tool on web that can help you. The most you can do is capture the screen by some screen recorder tool and then use it like a video. That would be best. Run a screen recorder software. There are many. And then make a video of map when you are surfing Google maps. The same video then you can see in your laptop or mobile phone to find the location. You must be prepared before by looking at all locations in the map.