Thread: How to migrate photos from MobileMe to iCloud

How to migrate photos from MobileMe to iCloud

Apple has discontinued MobileME. Those who are not aware must migrate to iCloud as early as you can. I hope there will be no data losses. I visited www.me.com recently and found the following message on screen. It is fine that Apple switches to iCloud in-order to provide a better cloud storage for users. But what about the files. I worry whether they must not disappear. The system where I can configured iDisk is not with me and I have only MobileMe as the backup source. I had created a account on the demo version which Apple has released long time for testing purpose. I never go chance to check and suddenly this happened. Has anyone migrated properly. Are there any errors. Does all the photos, videos, etc looks same as they were on MobileMe.

Re: How to migrate photos from MobileMe to iCloud

Where were you actually. The service is begin discontinued from 30th of June I think. You must react fast. But still you do not need to get worried about your photos and file. you can get that easily when you login on the existing me.com which will soon be iCloud. To migrate you will need to provide your mobileme account and password. After signing in you will get options to put all your data on iCloud. That is quiet easier. Nothing will be lost. all stays intact as it is and iCloud offers you a far more better interface compared to MobileMe. With a dedicated app you can configure this on your iPad, iPhone, etc devices and get all your files instantly. You do not need to get worried about any data loss. iCloud offers you a common interface to work with every device you have and it is quiet easy to use also. You do not need to worry about migration stuff, Apple handle that all. The demo thing that you are talking about is discontinued from long time. To login directly in iCloud you will need Apple ID and login for the same. I hope this is going to be more flexible. Because via iCloud you can simply access your photos, itunes playlist, movies, tv shows, etc. There were some features which was not possible in MobileMe.

This is for sure that there will no loss no errors here. Apple has managed that properly. Recently my friend just migrated his documents from MobileMe to iCloud from his iPad. The process took time but worked nicely.

Do you have Aperture. Because I had seen a blog where the writer said that those who own Aperture has option to migrate their content from MobileMe to iCloud. Aperture is a good photography tool. But I am not sure that will it help you to migrate everything. I had not tested and I am too looking for someone who had done this before. The article that I found says that with Aperture you can simply get your photos on iCloud. The files are stored usually on the local drive. So that means there are not other things that can be transferred. That would be a more lengthier process if you go for photos migration from one tool and videos from other. It is better if Apples automated process does this. As far concerned with only photo migration then Aperture users will not face issue. The application creates a separate MobileMe folder on your computer disk. That is what you can migrate on icloud. Try to login on the me.com site and see what you finds. I hope your data will be transferred instantly and you can access the same. Yet this is some of the major changes that is done by apple.

I do not understand why you guys are so worry about the same. Your MobileME data stays on Apple server. And they are just migrated to iCloud. Let them follow all technical queries. We just need to sign in and click to migrate that's all. Any error then contact Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by OS-X-10+ View Post
    I do not understand why you guys are so worry about the same. Your MobileME data stays on Apple server. And they are just migrated to iCloud. Let them follow all technical queries. We just need to sign in and click to migrate that's all. Any error then contact Apple.
    The user above is correct about Aperture. But it only works if you have the software associated with MobileMe. Or else it would not work. But it is found that this available for limited time only so do not forget to migrate your photo gallery as soon as you can. I hope this will be notified to users via some sort of mail or news. I was too shock to find this suddenly. Because what I know that in last couple of months there were some websites who were discussion on the discontinuation. This was too sudden. But this does not put any impact on your MobileMe files.

The Aperture thing I had notice at my office. There was a box on the screen which showed that MobileMe is discontinued. It is better always to keep a local copy for easy access. Now those users who had not yet migrated cannot access the content. They have to forcefully transfer them to iCloud. This should be based on choice and Apple must give time to people.

iCloud is for user benefit. End user can access more features compare to MobileMe. The link below has a short line below What's happening to MobileMe?. It says that "MobileMe members must move their accounts to iCloud before June 30, 2012.". Does that means those you had not yet migrated will lost everything. Check this link

Quote Originally Posted by Bao View Post
    iCloud is for user benefit. End user can access more features compare to MobileMe. The link below has a short line below What's happening to MobileMe?. It says that "MobileMe members must move their accounts to iCloud before June 30, 2012.". Does that means those you had not yet migrated will lost everything. Check this link
    No that is wrong. Check on me.com. If you have time read the above answers. The first user has replied that you just need to provide your mobileme login access and then you can carryon migration steps. iCloud is rich in features. Luckily Apple is not charging for that. That was the thing which shocked me. In iCloud you have your iTunes data, you can stream photos, documents, your apps purchase history, ebooks, etc. It is more rich and has better backup options. I will recommend each Apple user to migrate as soon as they can. One good thing here is that your login access do not change. That means your email address remains as it is. There is one bad news for those who have iWebsites on MobileMe. This iWebsites will not be available once MobileMe is completely discontinued. Those who have move them another server. iCloud has not preferences to run your iWebsite. For migrating iwebsite the following article will be helpful - MobileMe

It is very important that those who had not yet migrated must go through this link : Frequently asked questions about the MobileMe transition and iCloud. This link is posted above also. The link has list of faq which provides information what things will be discontinued soon.

Migration is not a big deal. But there are number of things that are discontinued. That does not means you loose those feature permantently iCloud has better alternative. You must give a try to the same. If you face any error while migrating the content you must retry the same after some hours. Do not havoc on it. Your data still lies on apple server. There might be some people who file face the error.