Thread: Unable to delete history in Opera 12

Unable to delete history in Opera 12

Opera 12 is out but unfortunately with a problem (at least for me). I installed it a week ago and accessed it a lot without facing any problem. one of my friend told me that I might face a serious freezing issue with the browser but to be frank instead of getting such issue I rather found it more faster reliable. The only problem I had is with the history. Now I don’t know whether it’s a problem or I am unaware of certain settings. This is why I came here to first know whether I am facing a problem or not. If yes, then what could be the solution, if not then what change will I have to make in order to get things placed properly. I will sure explain you what exactly I am going through.

Yesterday night when I checked the history I found that due to access of use it was all full so therefore I deleted some of the web pages that were listed in the history. After deleting I close the browser believing that they would have gone completely but when I reopened the browser I found that those websites were still present in my history. Deleted them hundred of time but no use those deleted sites came back again and again after I reopen the browser. I also once deleted my entire history from the browser but no use, they got deleted but after I restarted the browser they all came back again. Can some please help me out? Is there anything that I can do to get the deleted?

Re: Unable to delete history in Opera 12

I don’t know why you are facing this problem I can say that you can easily get rid of this issue with the help of an alternate trick. Actually with opera what happens is when you delete the history from opera alternate copy of the site get saved somewhere they get executed again and again until I remove certain files from the profile folder. In order get rid of the trouble what you need to do is first go to the profile and then search for search_field_history.dat then typed_history.xml and also global_history.dat. Once you get all the files just remove them complete from your system. That’s it, everything is done now reboot your system, open your Opera 12 browser and check the History, you won’t find anything there (the history will be empty). Anyways before you reboot the system make sure that there are no similar copies of the above mentioned files present anywhere in your system. you can perform a full check of your system (sometimes the files are hidden somewhere without our knowledge).

There is another interesting thing you can do. If you are a kind of person who never prefer to keep the history and if you are bored of deleting the history again and again then what you can do is simply keep the files (search_field_history.dat, typed_history.xml and global_history.dat) that I have mentioned above as read only. By doing this you will not have to go the history section and delete the sites every time. In fact, every time you close the browser the history will be cleared automatically without your knowledge and without you doing anything. I am telling you better try it out.

This is nothing but a bug I am sure. I too have this much similar issue and let me tell you that I have already tried both the above suggestion but nothing worked. I am really worried now; nothing seems to be working at all. Not just the history reappears automatically but also the above mentioned when I deleted came back to its original location. As according to the instruction I went to the profile folder and from there I located those three files and then deleted them completely. When rebooted the system and checked the browser history, it was all full without anything being removed and also when visited the profile folder interesting all those three files were still present. When I visited Opera’s official what I found is I am not the only one with this “Delete History” issue but there are many other users who have reported the same about this issue. I am sure Opera 12 has not come up properly with History option. They will have to fix this problem as soon as possible before the users switch to some other version.

How come it is possible that even the profile folder’s files are recreating? I don’t think the files would come again especially with the history being persist without any difference. Either you are not following the instruction properly or else those recreated files could be useless ones. Sometimes even after deleting any file they reappears at the same location. However these files remain empty and so their size not goes beyond 1kb.

Anyways, if possible also try your hands with the cache and storage folders just clear both the thing reboot Opera, check the history status and let me know.

Yeah, you can try clearing both your cache and storage folders. I personally thing that those three files must be in your case is protected or something like that which is not allowing them to get removed from the system. I guess they come along with the Opera after the installation, so there could also be a possibility that you have not done the Opera installation properly. if in case nothing from the above works then uninstall your Opera and then reinstall it again (this time install it carefully). Also remember that once you uninstall Opera you do try to remove all the related files and folders by searching them from everywhere. After you are confirmed and done with removing everything run a Cleaner and then after that reinstall Opera.

It has been already said that there a bug with this latest version of Opera 12 history option. The bug is only with win32 platform. All the windows users running Opera 12 must be facing this problem. The bug has been already reported. Surely the bug will be resolved as soon as possible by the official people the problem will be removed. Before the release of a proper Opera 12 definitely they will get the delete option working correctly.

If you really like Opera 12 and if you want to still use it without such history issue you can follow my suggestion. Go to the Advanced Tab by pressing Ctrl+F12 then go to History then address and then click Clear. All your history will be cleared completely and trust me it is a working solution but unfortunately it works only for windows XP system and not for other windows machine. If you are a windows XP user then definitely you will be out of this history deletion issue.